What is page file and what should I set it to?

xWin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014
I have 8gb 1600mhz Ram and I was wondering what would be the appropriate initial size and maximum size would be? I am a complete noob with these things and I would love if someone could simplify what exactly page file is and how to set it up right. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I also am on Windows 8.1

-xWin

Solution
The page file is like virtual memory. Windows use it to trade information with the RAM, when you get out of RAM Windows uses this file on the HDD/SSD, like it was RAM.

Usually the page file size is your RAM x1.5 so if you have 8GB RAM the page file should be 12GB.

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015
The page file is like virtual memory. Windows use it to trade information with the RAM, when you get out of RAM Windows uses this file on the HDD/SSD, like it was RAM.

Usually the page file size is your RAM x1.5 so if you have 8GB RAM the page file should be 12GB.

Solution

xWin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014

Thanks for clearing that up. Also do I set initial and maximum size to 12gb?

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015

Set it to "auto" setting if you can. If you don't the maxium should be 12GB, but i dont know about the minium.

Ah, I almost forget it. Set the page file to another HDD, dont set it on the main drive.

I tend to say this. Windows sets itself up during installation to run pretty well. Unless you know what you are doing, it is probably best not to play with the Windows settings too much.

Just a few days ago, someone created a new post saying that they had just turned off some "Useless Features", and then said that for some reason, their ethernet port stopped working, but he was sure that none of the "Useless Features" were the cause of that.. It appears that at least one of his "Useless Features" was little bit more useful than he thought.