What is RAM heat shield?

G

Hi,
So, my question is, what exactly is the use of a heat shield? Will it make any performance difference? Because, anyways, RAM doesn't heat up like the CPU or GPU. What does it do? And will it make any difference if I install one without the heatshield?
Thanks in advance.

Solution

You clearly have never touched a RAM module after it being working intensively :) They do get hot. The heat spreaders some ram modules have is there to help remove the heat from the RAM. Heat probably won't affect performance, in normal use cases, but it affects long-term duration of the modules. So it helps giving your modules a longer life. The faster the RAM, the more necessary they are. If you install one without a heat spreader, you should not have performance problems, though, as the typical use case is not super-intensive on RAM.

You clearly have never touched a RAM module after it being working intensively :) They do get hot. The heat spreaders some ram modules have is there to help remove the heat from the RAM. Heat probably won't affect performance, in normal use cases, but it affects long-term duration of the modules. So it helps giving your modules a longer life. The faster the RAM, the more necessary they are. If you install one without a heat spreader, you should not have performance problems, though, as the typical use case is not super-intensive on RAM.

Solution

JWoody

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
RAM DOES heat up like a CPU or GPU, just not as much and temps dont tend to flucuate as much, but no heat spreaders arent nessessary though they can extend the life of the RAM, but by the time they wear out anyway they've long since been upgraded.

G

Actually, I have. But what I meant was, it doesn't heat as much as a CPU or GPU.