Question What is REAL CPU Speed ?

Jul 24, 2019
Hello
It's my first time writing on this forum :)

I have old Toshiba Satellite a505-s6992
P7450 2.13Ghz CPU on board

HWiNFO and CPU-Z show - 930Mhz
AIDA64 shows - 2128MHZ
Win 10 showed - 1980Mhz (But it was laggy and I just installed 7 64bit)
Also - on another old laptop, there is T3000 1.8Ghz with win 7 x86 and it works just fine, but this Goddamn Toshiba lags on YouTube 720P, so I think it's not running at desire speed ....

Also Temps:
RealTemp shows - 52c
HWiNFO - 52c
Speccy - 62c
AIDA64 - 68c
(By touching the copper heat pipe, I can tell that 55-62 is the best answer :) )

In BIOS there is no Intel speed step, nor turbo boost functions, about CPU there is only "allow multy core" :D

So, the question->
Which one is correct ?
Is my cpu working under 1 GHZ, or it's rocking on 2.13GHZ as should be ?
temps is not problem at that time...
1.1563957111.jpg
2.1563957137.jpg

Jul 24, 2019
Power Plan is on performance, or whatever it is called
On screenshots cpu load is like 70%, but the numbers doesn't change on intel burn test, or aida stability test

All of them are correct.

The CPU will behave according to the thermal profile of your laptop (cooling capacity).

Also, CPU load has nothing to do with speeds; they're a consequence of something else. When you load a CPU, specially in an old Core2, the CPU will try to run at max speed all the time unless the temperature is too high and it needs to throttle down (this is a very old protection mechanism to prevent CPUs from immolating themselves). The load you see in Windows is not usually true in the same sense as you'd imagine. The CPU is really being used at 100%, but the scheduler is only making that program use a 70% of the CPU because reasons.

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2019
mm
task manager shows 100% load almost every time
as I mentioned, I tried several stress/burn tests and during them some programs showed 930mhz, some 2130mhz
I just want to know, is the cpu working on 930, when it should be working on 2133?
because, as I wrote, system is working very slow, when the older one, T3000 1.8ghz dual core, works way better

mm
task manager shows 100% load almost every time
as I mentioned, I tried several stress/burn tests and during them some programs showed 930mhz, some 2130mhz
I just want to know, is the cpu working on 930, when it should be working on 2133?
because, as I wrote, system is working very slow, when the older one, T3000 1.8ghz dual core, works way better
Then you're not understanding what we're talking about.

As for the performance of a whole system, the CPU is only but one component. Have you tried a clean install? Adding more RAM? Switching to SSD?

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2019
Thanks for your help, but I know very well the computer core components and etc
I just cant figure out, at what frequency is this shit working on full load/stress test
930mhz or 2133mhz
if 930, than there's a problem in cpu or in MB

I think it is not working on 2133 because of that system is working really slow on fresh win 7 x64

Jul 24, 2019
If you need to know the specs:
gt230m GPU
ssd rolling on sata, whatever version it is
1066 2x2 ddr3
powering from power adapter, battery is pulled out
on 1080p monitor (without laptops original screen)

I'll try one last time:

All of them are correct, because it will depend on how hot and how much of the real CPU is being used. If the CPU is doing too much, gets hot, then it will throttle back to it's lowest speed to work, even when used at 100%.

Given the temperatures you've given out, that's actually high for a notebook, so it makes sense to me the CPU won't be able to keep it's full speed for long when pushed to 100%.

So, in other words, you have to put the "time" into context to understand how the speed deteriorates over time.

Oh, and some hardware reading software doesn't read the CPU speeds correctly. I wouldn't be surprised your Toshiba is using non-standard measuring chips some common monitoring software doesn't know about.

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2019
some hardware reading software doesn't read the CPU speeds correctly.

hallelujah :D

How can you write to me things about throtling and etc, when I'm just asking which program is correct when at the same time they show different frequencies...

thanks for you help

BUT, I don't get the answer

At what frequency the cpu is working at the time screenshots were taken ?

is it that hard ?

Well, a Core2-based laptop with no dedicated graphics card is going to suck big time for anything "modern". The integrated Intel graphics for them could not even handle YouTube videos through hardware decoding as they lacked DX support and did not have QuickSync either; this was introduced with Sandy Bridge IIRC.

You're better off installing Linux and use it for browsing there. I know I saved a couple of very old laptops that way and they got a bit more useful lifetime like that.

EDIT: I can't see the images at work, as they're blocked by the Company Firewall, sorry.

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2019
with no dedicated graphics card
as I wrote, it has gt230m :)

for browsing there
that's what I want

I can't see the images at work
That's what the things are going :)

in screenshots:
HWiNFO and CPU-Z show - 930Mhz
AIDA64 shows - 2128MHZ
Win 10 showed - 1980Mhz (But it was laggy and I just installed 7 64bit)

And I'm trying to figure out this:
at what frequency the CPU is working right at that moment

Oh, it does have a dedicated GPU. That changes things. If you have laggy videos, then go into the nVidia driver and tell it to use the discrete GPU for everything.

As for the rest, if the information you posted matches the screenshots, then my answer doesn't change. Speeds in CPUs fluctuate quite a lot, so it depends on how they measured them and at what point.

If it makes you happy, assume Windows 10's speed was the correct one.

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2019
Speeds in CPUs fluctuate quite a lot, so it depends on how they measured them and at what point.

If it makes you happy, assume Windows 10's speed was the correct one.
Yes, I was thinking like that

So, Thank you very much for helping

Regards

as for the slowdowns: while a Core2 is rather slow by today's standards, it shouldn't make the whole PC laggy. Since it's also very old, have you tried removing the thermal pads that are surely turned into powder and replacing the thermal paste on both CPU and GPU, since they're all on the same heatpipe? Last time I did that to a Core PC, it turned from sluggish as hell to a perfectly viable browsing machine.
Also, lose the hard disk: put a cheap SATA SSD and stuff as much RAM as the thing can handle (typically 3 Gb, sometimes 8Gb provided memory address rewriting was correctly implemented in BIOS) and you'll be able to use it well.

Jul 24, 2019
I know it is a junk and would throw away, but I had free time and built this cute machine and know I want to make it working for watching videos on youtube in 720p

Jul 24, 2019
Am I missing something there?
Yes Sir! :)

I took the laptop motherboard, friend gave me, and made a super mini desktop machine powered with laptop 90w power adaptor :D

That why I want to make this cute little machine usefull
after some days I will add RGB lightning to the bottom part

just look at picture at home :)

TRENDING THREADS