[SOLVED] What is Receive Rate/Transmit Rate?

Im using a Netgear AC1750 (R6350) WIFI router with a Netgear AC1200 (A6210) USB 3.0 network adapter.

I used powershell netsh/wlan/show interface on my pc (Windows 10) and it says Receive Rate 600mbps / Transmit Rate 866.5mbps.

Im having some confusion on what these 2 numbers represent. Im using 5ghz and my router is capable of giving out up to 1450mbps on the 5ghz band.

My network adapter is capable of receiving 867mbps.

SO Im assuming the Transmit Rate represents my Network Adapter rate, but what could the Receive Rate be? As my Router is capable of giving out much more than 600mbps?

What is windows using to get that 600mbps number? Am I being limited? And what exactly do the 2 rates represent? In my head, transmit should be whats being transmitted to the adapter, and receive should be whats actually being received by the adapter... but this is obviously not the case..

UNLESS, transmit means upload speed for the adapter????

SPECS

MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B450
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x (4.3ghz 1.325v)
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC 3x Windforce White (8pin only version)
MEMORY: HyperX RGB 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250gb / 500gb Seagate / 1tb Samsung 860 Qvo
PSU: Corsair cx550m
WIN: Windows 10 Pro
Case Cooling: Antec Prizm 3x 120mm rgb case fans with controller and 2 RGB strips / 1 default 120mm case fan
Case: Cougar MX330

Last edited:
Solution
Those number represent the encoding rates not the actual data transfer rates. They ignore all kinds of stuff like data over head and most important that wifi is half duplex. It can't actually transmit and receive at the same time they device must take turns and they stomp on each other which reduces the real world rates a lot.

You have to decode the numbers. I am not sure what 600 means. The 867 is what is called the MCS value. This represents 2 data stream at 433. The so called 1300 number is 3 data steams but because both your router and your nic card o do not have 3 antenna it will only use 2x2 mimo.

Your router can not do 1450 on 5g. It is doing 450 on 2.4 and 1300 on 5. This is the top rates using 3x3 mimo on...
Windows measures your usb dongle,it can transmit (send out) 867mps which is what it is rated for and it receives 600mbps from the wifi router.

The maximum of 1450mbps for your router is only if the router has that much to send, the usb dongle can send out a file from your hard disk so it can max out its bandwidth but the router can only send you as much internet as your ISP gives you, you need a really good connection to get even close to the 600mbps you are getting even the fastest ISP max out at about 1000mbps.

There might be a command to make your router send out test data if you want to see if it reaches the 1450 number.

Reactions: Jason H.
Those number represent the encoding rates not the actual data transfer rates. They ignore all kinds of stuff like data over head and most important that wifi is half duplex. It can't actually transmit and receive at the same time they device must take turns and they stomp on each other which reduces the real world rates a lot.

You have to decode the numbers. I am not sure what 600 means. The 867 is what is called the MCS value. This represents 2 data stream at 433. The so called 1300 number is 3 data steams but because both your router and your nic card o do not have 3 antenna it will only use 2x2 mimo.

Your router can not do 1450 on 5g. It is doing 450 on 2.4 and 1300 on 5. This is the top rates using 3x3 mimo on both radios.

This is all smoke and mirrors to confuse the end consumer who doesn't want to learn what these numbers means. The marketing guy just want to put a bigger number on the box so people who do not educate themselves will just say "bigger number must be better"

Since mimo means they intentionally transmit overlapping signals it has greatly diminishing returns. Every signal you gets less and less increase. Otherwise we would have 100x100 mimo.

In real world installs at real world distances you generally will not get over 300mbps.

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution
Thank you both for the responses! Yes Im aware the router can only give out as much as its given. Also I never use my dongle to "send out" files. Honestly, in my own little world, I though dongles could only "receive" as thats what they are made to do lol. But u learn something new everyday

Your router can not do 1450 on 5g

It says on the box, 1450 5ghz, 350 2.4ghz. So idk.