What is ruining my monitors? Ive been through 3 already.

skabbyociousness

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I built a system for my parents a couple years ago and for some reason within the last few months their monitor died. It would come on for about 2 seconds then go black. My initial thought was back light but I then discovered that couldn't be it because it came on for a few seconds each time you turned it off and back on. I took it apart and found that it had some popped capacitors (probably from a power surge at some point) that was causing it to overheat quickly after it turned on. Meanwhile I hooked up another monitor for them. A couple weeks later that monitor died. This one had nothing I couldn't even get it to come on. No LED indicator or anything. So my parents were given another monitor by their friend a few weeks ago and just tonight I get a text saying this one dies as well. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'm sick of dealing with this. Is it possible for the video card to be doing this? Or is this strictly a power problem? Do I need to swap out the video card or some other component that could potentially be causing this or do I need to do some kind of voltage check on the outlet they are using?

Here is whats they're working with:

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With Included 500W Power Supply

Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM DDR3 1333

Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 7200 RPM SATA

Intel BOXDX38BT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

first monitor was a 19" Hanns-g widescreen

second was a 19 " soyo

third I think was an HP

Please Help. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Martell77

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Some of the cheaper surge protectors will absorb 1 surge and then only work as a power bar. Thats likely the problem.

Look for a good one and be sure that it can be reset as a surge protector after taking a hit.