[SOLVED] What is service class?

Solution
It has no value to a home user in most cases.

All packet markings are removed by the ISP. I mean if they didn't why would I not set my priority to be higher than everyone else on the internet. So all markings are set to zero so all traffic is the same.

The only use it might have is the case where you were overloading your upload connection. It could then choose which traffic is more important but it is not as simple as just clicking a box. How does it really know what is bit torrent when bit torrent can use the same ports as web surfing. How can it possibly know all the ports game companies use. There is a lot of configuration that is involved. BUT most people do not overload their upload rates, that is partially why the...

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
There is a service class option , whats this?

It's where you can tell your router to prioritise certain types of Internet traffic. For example, if you're a home worker using Zoom or Teams and there are other folks using the same router then you could use the number two option so you have priority over those browsing the web or using YouTube etc. If you have no preference then use the "Not set" option.

Jan 24, 2021
It's where you can tell your router to prioritise certain types of Internet traffic. For example, if you're a home worker using Zoom or Teams and there are other folks using the same router then you could use the number two option so you have priority over those browsing the web or using YouTube etc. If you have no preference then use the "Not set" option.
i thought this option might increase my netflix streaming speed on smart tv, seems not.. its rather for prioritizing. is that any deal with cloudflare dns?

It has no value to a home user in most cases.

All packet markings are removed by the ISP. I mean if they didn't why would I not set my priority to be higher than everyone else on the internet. So all markings are set to zero so all traffic is the same.

The only use it might have is the case where you were overloading your upload connection. It could then choose which traffic is more important but it is not as simple as just clicking a box. How does it really know what is bit torrent when bit torrent can use the same ports as web surfing. How can it possibly know all the ports game companies use. There is a lot of configuration that is involved. BUT most people do not overload their upload rates, that is partially why the ISP always have faster download than upload rates.

I don't know what that option actually does on your router. Cloudflare supported encrypted DNS. Most times you use cloudflare along with a browser that supports it like chrome or firefox. All normal web traffic is encrypted via HTTPS but the ISP and others spy on DNS lookups to try to get the site names you visit. The encrypted DNS solves that problem. Not sure what it does on a router. Maybe the router itself is supporting encrypted DNS that way you do not need special support in the application like chrome to use it.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
i thought this option might increase my netflix streaming speed on smart tv, seems not................

For example, if there were other users connected to the same router downloading large files from a website then that option is supposed to improve your Netflix performance. If it's just you at home then it'll make no difference.

is that any deal with cloudflare dns?

Cloudflare DNS can block access to known sites that are malicious such as phishing, scams, or those that host malware.