Question What is so wrong with my laptop when gaming?

Mar 30, 2019
OK I have tried to search this issue on the Web and on YouTube but couldn't find any solutions so here it is for hopefully someone who knows what the answer is:

Whenever I'm gaming I repeatedly, every few minutes, get a stuttering screen and audio for a few seconds, maybe 3 to 10 seconds. After that it is all fluid again. Until it comes again.

The machine is X1 Carbon 5th Gen, i7-7600 16GB ram, Intel 620 HD graphics and 1TB SSD, on win 10.

It doesn't matter what game it is. Or what graphics setting. Even on lowest it will happen. Right now I was playing Stronghold 2 Steam edition. I think the game is more than 10 years old.

I tried looking at the performance monitor meters but nothing like CPU, GPU, DISK peaks in the moment when the stuttering happens.

I also tried disabling my antivirus and OneDrive but it didn't eliminate the issue.

Any thoughts what to do here will be much appreciated.

Could be overheating, or power throttling. Check things on wall power if you are not, and try to run system with a fan blowing on it, see if that helps. The thin laptops often have performance issues due to being too small for proper cooling. There have been tests done on models that performed slower than older systems due to heat.

Mar 30, 2019
OK i went to track temperature and it seems like everytime this stuttering happens is exactly when the CPU temp drops from 59 to 51 degrees.

The first 2 drops is when I opened the game. Dirty Bomb on Steam in this case.

pol9Fm3Zp

I also managed to screenshot this in one of the moments of stutter. Further below is the screenshot when the game runs fluid.

poHi4LcIp

polHV1X5p