What is supposed to happen after upgrading/replacing motherboard?

Hammahness

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
This is related to my most recent asked question. So I just finished replacing my old mobo with a brand new ASRock Z97 Fatal1ty and I was told that I wouldn't have to reinstall windows just that it might go into recovery mode on its own to reinstall missing drivers. When turning on the PC, which I was happy as hell when it actually turned on, it stays at the FATAL1TY screen with that spinning windows 10 circle on the bottom spinning endlessly. As of this post it has been spinning for about 10 minutes and hasn't changed and I'm wondering if this is supposed to happen or if I did something wrong.

Hazle

Distinguished
your W10 OS is registered to the motherboard. change the motherboard, & you would either need to buy a new key and make a new installation, or contact MS support to explain that you just changed the hardware on your previous W10 installation, among other methods;

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

as to what's supposed to happen, I didn't read any of your previous threads, so I dunno what you've been told, or what you're upgrading from but for starters you can now OC your CPU, provided it's an OCable model. you're also likely be able to run two or more GPUs in CF or SLI now, among other Z97 features that aren't available in the lower tier chipsets.

Hammahness

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015

Well I am upgrading from an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 to a ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer and I was told that I wouldn't need to reinstall windows 10. And as of this message it is still in the Fatal1ty screen and the windows wheel is still spinning.

Hammahness

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015

Well I haven't been using an activated version windows. I was using a windows 10 pro that had transparent words in the bottom right corner that said "activate windows" before I replaced the mobo. If I wipe my HDD clean can I reinstall windows 10 from a USB ISO and use it without activating windows?

Hammahness

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015

Is there a way to reinstall windows 10 from booting from a CD and be able to keep data because theres no way i can copy and paste the pictures and videos I want to an external drive?

"because theres no way i can copy and paste the pictures and videos I want to an external drive"

Why? Lack of funds to buy the hardware? (I can fully understand that if it's true), otherwise I'm shocked you don't already have your data backed up to something - - I wouldn't dream of putting myself in that situation.

You think drives work forever?

Hammahness

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015

i didnt said i used a cracked software i just said my windows wasnt activated since before i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7

Hammahness

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015

there was no way to get into windows to copy and paste it into a usb or something. The PC was stuck at a loading screen and bios was the only thing i could access before the loading started.