what is svchost exe (netsvcs) and why it takes so much ram?

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hi guys! Two days ago I noticed in the Task manager that the above .exe when I start my PC takes for 5-10 minutes about 300-500 MB of my RAM...After this amount of time it goes down to 30 ΜΒ and I don't think it goes back up unless I scan for updates through the Windows Update.I have come to the conclusion that it has to do with the Windows Updates since I have automatic scan enabled so I think every time I boot my PC it scans randomly but I want to hear if I am right beacause I don't know a lot about this stuff.A lot of people on the internet are sayings stuff about malware and viruses but I run scans with Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner every day and I have Avast so I don't think I have such problem,right?Nothing positive comes out in these scans! Anyway,I just want to know if it is a normal process in order not to worry about it.I think it is but what do you say guys?

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
set your internet connection to 'metered'

this will make windows not search for updates automatically

if your problem still persists: end it in task in task manager. if your internet falls over, then its possibly a controller/driver issue. if it restarts, then its an active/background program running (like windows update). - if your net falls over, a restart fixes the problem.

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hello soggy thanks for the reply ! I understand what you suggest but I don't want to make a possible mistake so I just want to know if this is a normal process... If I press scan for updates it kicks in on a range of 400-500 MB and after 5-10 minutes of the scan ending it goes back down to 30 MB of RAM so I am pretty sure that it isn't a virus.Is this a process that if you scan for windows updates goes to the 400-500 MB ram for ALL users or is it just me ?

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Thanks for the reply! I go to services of this .exe and highlited is the windows update.So is it normal for the windows update when scanning for updates to hog 500MB of RAM?

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Thank you so much man I'm relieved.Can I make you a last question about Ram since you seem to know a lot.When I boot my PC or I open Chrome or a game for the first time of the day,if I look at the Resource Monitor there are many Hard Faults for a few seconds then everything is going down to zero again.For example,If I hit play in OverWatch(a heavy game) then suddenly in the Resource Monitor in the Memory Section will pop up the OverWatch.exe and it will have almost a thousand Hard Faults but after 3-4 seconds they sill go down rapidly and when the game is fully started it will have 0 hard faults and it will stay like this as long as I play.That also happens with almost all others applications though in a less degree for example if I open chrome it will show 20 Hard Faults but then it will quickly go down to 0.I think is normal but what do you say?should I worry about this?Thanks again man you rock!

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I have an AMD Fx-6300, a Radeon R9 270X as the GPU,1 SSD 128GB Kingston,a HDD Seagate 1TB as Storage and two Ram Kingston 4GB each.I can't say that I notice any lag even in heavy games and I am generally happy with me PC's perfomance.Are the RAM hard faults something that may damage my profile?Some people are saying about malware but I scan my PC every day with different antivirus and nothing bad comes up.Should I just ignore them?

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I don't quite think that I have malware even though four months ago I pressed a " download" popup thing in a website that changed my chrome browser and installed different PUP in my computer but I cleaned them quickly with Malwarebytes. I also run scans every day with Malwarebytes,adwcleaner and hitman pro and they don't find anything wrong.... Could I have something in my computer and neither one of this well respected applications finds anything ?

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I run RogueKiller and it found 4 Registry Entries that the other antivirus didn't found...What shall I do?I sign up in this site but it doesn't let me post for some reason...

Kenton82

Reputable

This is perfectly normal. Windows will utilise 1-2GB of RAM on its own, just to run.

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

It doesn't let me post a forum says that I have insufficient privledges...Does an administrator need to accept me first?