What is svm mode in BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmed_30

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Hi, everyone.

I have a Ryzen build with a B450 Gaming Plus motherboard, and I see something called SVM mode (AMD secure virtual machine).

Soooo should I enable it or disable it? I'm a PC gamer and I'm not sure what this would do.

Need advice about this.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
It's basically virtualization. With SVM enabled, you'll be able to install a virtual machine on your PC.... let's say you want to install Windows XP on your machine without uninstalling your Windows 10. You download VMware for example, take an ISO image of the XP and install the OS through this software. Your Windows 10 will run at the same time as your other OS does through VMware.

That's useful if you have, for example, really old programs that need to run on an older OS.

If you're not interested in that you can disable SVM in your BIOS and it won't affect anything.
It's basically virtualization. With SVM enabled, you'll be able to install a virtual machine on your PC.... let's say you want to install Windows XP on your machine without uninstalling your Windows 10. You download VMware for example, take an ISO image of the XP and install the OS through this software. Your Windows 10 will run at the same time as your other OS does through VMware.

That's useful if you have, for example, really old programs that need to run on an older OS.

If you're not interested in that you can disable SVM in your BIOS and it won't affect anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.