What is Symmetric NAT?

Hi,

What is the difference between NAT and Symmetric NAT and how might this
effect MSN messenger?

Regards,

Paul

Greetings Paul,

There are several types of NATs, based upon how exactly the "NAT" operations are being
performed. A symmetric NAT is one in which all requests from the same internal IP and port
to a specific destination are mapped to the esame external IP address and port.

In MSN Messenger 6.1 and above (not sure if 7 changes any of this yet), for features that
require a direct connection (to either work or work well) Symmetric NATs are not supported
unless they support UPnP.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert