[SOLVED] What is the ACTUAL best antivirus software?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShaun

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 9, 2014
Every search result from google brings up reviews claiming the same programs. Such as Avast, Norton, McAfee, etc. But any person I've personally asked who actually has or has had any of these tell me they are crap. Well, at least those three. So, I can't trust any of those reviews or any reviews from those sites because it looks like they were bought off by those software companies to give them good reviews even though actual users of those software claim they are crap. So, what is a user tested, easy to use, no run arounds, no tricks to squeeze more money, actually finds ALL viruses and spyware that any other software can find, fast (don't want to wait for hours long scans) type of antivirus program? Or am I hoping for a miracle program that doesn't exist yet?

Sorry if this was long and silly sounding, I'm antivirus --------. I've tried a bunch of the "best" free ones, but they only say they found things and won't do anything about them unless I pay. If I'm going to pay money, I want the best. Even if it's expensive. As long as it's the best, money is not an issue for me. Two top concerns are - finding ALL (or as much as any can) viruses and spyware, and speed. I just want to be able to catch them all as fast as I can when I do a scan. Like as if it's The Flash as a virus Pokemon trainer.

Edit: Just tried Bitdefender and it only found 2 things, but they were legit programs that I know what they are. Spyhunter found a bunch, but wouldn't do anything about them unless I pay. And I had to search their name and found they are indeed spyware. So I do have spyware on my PC, I just want to know the #1 best program to use to get rid of it. Doesn't matter how much it costs.

TheShaun

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 9, 2014
Apologies to everyone for my behavior previously. I was intoxicated and becoming irritable. Though that's no excuse for my behavior. I went ahead and paid for Spyhunter since it's the only one that found as much as it did. The problem seems to be fixed now. A complete wipe and restart was not needed and that's why that type of answer only irritated me (along with being intoxicated). Spyhunter took care of it within 3 minutes and an entire re-installation of windows would have taken hours. Plus more hours to re-install everything I have on my PC. Re-installation should always be the absolute last resort.

On a side note: I know I shouldn't have immediately responded the way I did to the moderator. Though I do have my reasons. I do not trust moderators. My experience with them has always been them having a "I have all the power and you don't" or "I'm automatically right because I'm a moderator" type of attitude. Which was present here as well. And they were wrong because the issue was solved without wiping my whole PC. But no worries, I will not bother any of you again if another problem arises. I'll seek help elsewhere. Thank you to everyone who tried to help and I appreciate your willingness to help despite my irritability (except you moderators).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
On a side note: I know I shouldn't have immediately responded the way I did to the moderator. Though I do have my reasons. I do not trust moderators. My experience with them has always been them having a "I have all the power and you don't" or "I'm automatically right because I'm a moderator" type of attitude. Which was present here as well. And they were wrong because the issue was solved without wiping my whole PC. But no worries, I will not bother any of you again if another problem arises. I'll seek help elsewhere. Thank you to everyone who tried to help and I appreciate your willingness to help despite my irritability (except you moderators).

We thank you for the insult despite not doing anything to warrant it here. As I said people answered to the best of their knowledge, and there was not one bit of "I'm right because I'm a moderator". I hope the program you paid for actually solved the issue. This thread is closed.

Reactions: Misha600
Status
Not open for further replies.