[SOLVED] What is the ACTUAL maximum wattage that can go through a PCIe 8 pin slot?

Apr 28, 2020
I've done some reading, and someone told me that it is 1.7x above what the ATX standard is, which is 150w. I also read an answer on Stack Exchange that said that the true limit is likely "much higher" than is stated, but both of these answers are vague/guesses.

Solution
I just got a 600w Evga BQ and I just realized I can only “safely” run a 3060 ti. I would have gotten the 700w because due to limited stock I may end up purchasing a 3070 if that’s what makes it to checkout. I don’t want my 600w to go to waste if I end up with a 3070.

The problem is you're kinda asking the wrong questions. The PCIE limit doesn't matter here because it's still limited by what the PSU can do. PCIE cables could be specced to run up to 2000W, but it wouldn't change the fact that it's a 600W PSU.

600W is likely enough, the problem is a different one. With a 3070, this is an awfully unambitious power supply, and not for reasons of wattage. This isn't in the junk supply tier, but nor is it a particularly good one, and...
Apr 28, 2020
I would think it depends hugely on time. A spike for a few ms versus a load for several minutes will be very different answers.

What’s the reason for the question?
I just got a 600w Evga BQ and I just realized I can only “safely” run a 3060 ti. I would have gotten the 700w because due to limited stock I may end up purchasing a 3070 if that’s what makes it to checkout. I don’t want my 600w to go to waste if I end up with a 3070.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The problem is you're kinda asking the wrong questions. The PCIE limit doesn't matter here because it's still limited by what the PSU can do. PCIE cables could be specced to run up to 2000W, but it wouldn't change the fact that it's a 600W PSU.

600W is likely enough, the problem is a different one. With a 3070, this is an awfully unambitious power supply, and not for reasons of wattage. This isn't in the junk supply tier, but nor is it a particularly good one, and the 3070 and 3080 are known for really stressing even quality PSUs. It's not something I'd pair with a $500 GPU.

Solution