What is the advantage of NVIDIA PhysX and Radeon Mantle

Solution
PhsyX isn't really an advantage, it's a feature. Look at youtube, it adds effects, smoke, dust, debris, stuff like that. But it's also a drain on the GPU and not very widely used. Mantle is a new API, like DirectX that enables games to communicate more efficiently with the GPU, I had read at one point it even helped Nvidia in some games, the real benefit has yet to be seen, as the new version of directX is on its way, and Mantle does not have widespread adoption yet. In bf4 Mantle tends to provide around 10 better fps in my experiences.

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
PhsyX isn't really an advantage, it's a feature. Look at youtube, it adds effects, smoke, dust, debris, stuff like that. But it's also a drain on the GPU and not very widely used. Mantle is a new API, like DirectX that enables games to communicate more efficiently with the GPU, I had read at one point it even helped Nvidia in some games, the real benefit has yet to be seen, as the new version of directX is on its way, and Mantle does not have widespread adoption yet. In bf4 Mantle tends to provide around 10 better fps in my experiences.

Solution

Really? Link or it never happened!

That was 9 months ago and it was wrong then and is still wrong today, got anything a bit more up to date?

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Nope. Like I said its what I read at one point. If its wrong its wrong. Just found the actual artice i read 9 months ago inguess, never had reason to care about mantle after release, i use it for bf4 and the difference is negligable, amd like i said, the new direct x is on its way and (unsourced opinion here) think itll render mantle useless. Kinda beside the point though because mantle and physx aren't competing tech.

Well the fact that the author of that article didn't know that Nvidia hasn't been letting AMD/ATi users have access to PhysX since 2009 should tell you all you need to know, the guys an idiot and by quoting any thing from his site you're just lowering yourself to his numpty standards.

oxiide

Distinguished
Mantle generally helps low/mid-range CPUs out in games where the CPU workload is quite high, but the video card isn't taxed as hard. AMD FX-6300's and below tend to show some good gains with Mantle versus DirectX, whereas higher-end Core i5's and i7's perform about the same.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-mantle-performance-benchmark,3860.html

Its only in use currently on two retail-available games. But since that's basically the behavior you'd expect based on AMD's claims and the whole point of Mantle's existence, I'd expect similar results in other games once they're available.

I really don't advocate choosing your hardware based on these extras, unless maybe you're building a rig specifically TO run an AMD- or Nvidia-sponsored game that makes unusually heavy usage of PhysX or Mantle. Both are rare, both will probably stay somewhat rare, and you generally can be very happy without them.

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

seriously no need to get all hostile and start insulting me i read that in passing over 9 months ago and didnt even read it through then. which ive pretty much stated 4 times now, its not like im arguing the point using that as my fact basis.

I don't see how I've insulted you by letting you know that guy is full of crap and parroting him or linking to his site is a bad idea.

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

"lowering myself to his standards" but no worries we can chop it up to internet miss-communication and me normally being weary of ppl on forums.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
OP: The two should not be compared directly as they are two different things. For me physx is smoke/cloth having more realistic movement/look/response to the environment around it.

Mantle being an api for some games like directx with lower CPU bottlenecks. In the end if you are looking for a new GPU and trying to factor everything in go with the best price/performance.