[SOLVED] What is the advantage of using VPN?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I know that it's more secure and anonymous. However, in what ways is it more secure or safe? I think if I visit a website they could be finding out my computer config, IP and maybe they'll know which pages of their sites I am interested. I don't think these information are something big deal. Is it less likely to be infected with computer virus or less likely be hacked?

Solution
When you use a VPN you real IP is concealed and you are given a virtual IP from the location you are connected to. A good service provider usually keeps no logs of what you do when you are connected through them. Most of the VPNs market through zero market policy but they do keep logs. The best way to make sure that the provider you opt for does not have any association with 5,9 and 14 Eyes countries. They makes sure that those providers are not lawfully required to keep logs. A VPN helps you stay safe and secure by encrypting your traffic, opt for a VPN that has wire guard and other IPV6 security in place.
Actually I think the main advantage of a vpn is to make your location appear to be somewhere you are not. There are websites which are only available to viewers certain countries, like the BBC websites that are only available if you are in Great Britain. So a vpn with a node there would allow you access that a person in your country would not normally have.

As far as security, each vpn has it own policy as to how much information it gathers and how long it retains it. Most vpns only have your real ip address recorded during the time you are connected since you need to have an account with the vpn company and since they don't retain any logs, once you disconnect its like you never connected at all. You need to investigate each vpns policies for yourself or you can search for articles on various websites which compares all the vpns and their policies. There may be exceptions to those policies for national security or judicial purposes, so you'll want to note those. As far as viruses, you won't get any help there and the only way hacking might be less likely is that the hacker wouldn't know precisely who you are and when you were going to connect to the vpn.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Actually I think the main advantage of a vpn is to make your location appear to be somewhere you are not. There are websites which are only available to viewers certain countries, like the BBC websites that are only available if you are in Great Britain. So a vpn with a node there would allow you access that a person in your country would not normally have.

As far as security, each vpn has it own policy as to how much information it gathers and how long it retains it. Most vpns only have your real ip address recorded during the time you are connected since you need to have an account with the vpn company and since they don't retain any logs, once you disconnect its like you never connected at all. You need to investigate each vpns policies for yourself or you can search for articles on various websites which compares all the vpns and their policies. There may be exceptions to those policies for national security or judicial purposes, so you'll want to note those. As far as viruses, you won't get any help there and the only way hacking might be less likely is that the hacker wouldn't know precisely who you are and when you were going to connect to the vpn.

Hi. I forgot to ask, if paid VPN services usually have much improved connection speed? In the past I tried only free VPN services but their connection speed were horrible.

Last edited:
Hi. I forgot to ask, if paid VPN services usually have much improved connection speed? In the past I tried only free VPN services but their connection speed were horrible.
This is one of those things you won't know until you try it, so when choosing a plan you'll have to make sure you have a way out in case it doesn't meet your speed expectations. You could search the web for speed tests but those would only apply if they tested from your origin node.

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
When you use a VPN you real IP is concealed and you are given a virtual IP from the location you are connected to. A good service provider usually keeps no logs of what you do when you are connected through them. Most of the VPNs market through zero market policy but they do keep logs. The best way to make sure that the provider you opt for does not have any association with 5,9 and 14 Eyes countries. They makes sure that those providers are not lawfully required to keep logs. A VPN helps you stay safe and secure by encrypting your traffic, opt for a VPN that has wire guard and other IPV6 security in place.

Solution