[SOLVED] What is the AMD equivalent to i7-7700k?

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
What price would this be? New? Used? Does this include motherboard?

Personally would identify the heating issue before purchasing new hardware. Have you done this?

Tried:
- Re-attached Cooler + re-applied thermal paste

- Got a cooler case (Fractal Design Meshify C)

New preferably but used works, and yes a motherboard too

What’s the problem with it being hot? As long as it’s not getting over 85c there is nothing to worry about. If you are going to get a new motherboard and CPU it might as well be an upgrade, seems pointless spending on a side grade.

What RAM do you have? Ideally for Ryzen you want dual channel and 2666mhz or above.

What do you use the pc for? For multithreaded workloads you can achieve big improvements with Ryzen. For single threaded workloads there isn’t really an upgrade.

Reactions: oldcracc and RodroX

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
what is the temps for your i7 7700k on load
What’s the problem with it being hot? As long as it’s not getting over 85c there is nothing to worry about. If you are going to get a new motherboard and CPU it might as well be an upgrade, seems pointless spending on a side grade.

What RAM do you have? Ideally for Ryzen you want dual channel and 2666mhz or above.

What do you use the pc for? For multithreaded workloads you can achieve big improvements with Ryzen. For single threaded workloads there isn’t really an upgrade.

100 degrees in rainbow six siege. 66 degrees idle

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
Get a better cpu cooler. Your current one obviously is inadequate or improperly installed (or broken, if it is liquid AIO cooler).
7426_30_cryorig-m9i-cpu-cooler-review.png

Going off this, it should still be 78.5 under load, and thats overclocked as well, which mine is not. So idk what it is.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are making assumptions. The biggest being that stick is actually cooler than overclocked. It isn't always.

Your cpu runs at a certain voltage. Someone else's runs at different voltages, same cpu. Could be higher or lower. Intel doesn't test every single cpu, it can't, they'll change voltages on different mobo's. So Intel sets default voltages high enough to cover every single possible contingency.

Stock voltage for my i5-3570k was 1.25v. It ran stock temps under Prime95 of 76°C at 3.8GHz. Overclocked to 4.3GHz and at 1.114v it ran 70°C. That's a common occurance.

The Tweaktown test does similar, their OC levels aren't extreme, with voltages pumped high, it's a moderate OC with voltages lower than stock, emulating an average OC. It's a test done to compare wattage output comparisons, not a baseline test of your pc. There's nothing saying that your pc 'should only get' what they got.

100°C load, 66°C idle, you have issues. Idle should be much lower unless you are in Australia and the pc is sitting next to an open window at mid-day, in the sun.

Reactions: RodroX
7426_30_cryorig-m9i-cpu-cooler-review.png

Going off this, it should still be 78.5 under load, and thats overclocked as well, which mine is not. So idk what it is.

If the cooler is attached correctly with quality thermal paste then only two options remain...an overly hot room or a computer case with poor airflow. I would recommend removing the side panel from your PC and running it that way to see if temps improve.

Reactions: RodroX
I agree woth others here 66° on idle means something is really wrong with either your current cooler ( bad mounted, bad thermal paste) or somethig wrong with your BIOS, like an excessive overclock / vcore volatge.

If youre really sure you mounted the cooler right and that the thermal paste is decent enough, then I would go to BIOS and load default/optimized settings, SAVE changes and see whats happends. Also remember to check your Windows energy settings and choose the Balanced (recomended) power plan (Win+R -> powercfg.cpl -> Enter)

Cheers

Jan 23, 2020
To answer your question, the best value CPU these days is the Ryzen 5 3600 (2600 is $80 cheaper but might give worse gaming performance than 7700k) which is around $190-200.

It should give equal or better gaming performance compared to the 7700k, also you'll be future proofing by having 12 cores (6+6) vs 8 with the i7 (4+4). I would also guess that it runs cooler due to 7nm process, and the stock cooler actually isn't terrible.Also, assuming you can actually sell the 7700k at a decent price, it wouldn't be such an expensive upgrade.

HOWEVER, obviously the most cost effective route is just buying a decent air cooler, this one is tried and tested and only costs $35: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O65JXI?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1.

To answer your question, the best value CPU these days is the Ryzen 5 3600 (2600 is $80 cheaper but might give worse gaming performance than 7700k) which is around $190-200.

It should give equal or better gaming performance compared to the 7700k, also you'll be future proofing by having 12 cores (6+6) vs 8 with the i7 (4+4). I would also guess that it runs cooler due to 7nm process, and the stock cooler actually isn't terrible.Also, assuming you can actually sell the 7700k at a decent price, it wouldn't be such an expensive upgrade.

HOWEVER, obviously the most cost effective route is just buying a decent air cooler, this one is tried and tested and only costs $35: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O65JXI?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1.
That's not big enough.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
While AMD chips do run cooler than Intel chips, you have another problem as others have mentioned. Perhapes the cooler that comes with the AMD chip will do a better job than your current one, but I would address your current cooling situation first, as the thermal limits for AMD chips is less. So you wouldn't really be doing anything relevant with your thermal margin. Basically the other(amd) chip would still throttle, just at 80 instead of 100. Unless you just want to upgrade and are trying to come up with some kind of reasoning to justify the spending...

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
please provide the following
cpu Vcore
temp. of each individual core and not just the package temp , ( use a program like hardware monitor)
a picture of your case showing your cpu cooler and exhaust and inlet fans

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
100°C load, 66°C idle, you have issues. Idle should be much lower unless you are in Australia and the pc is sitting next to an open window at mid-day, in the sun.

The thing is.. thats almost exactly me, I'm in Australia, open windows, mid-day, but im in a cabin so its not really "in the sun" exactly. But it's still 38 degrees

Reapply thermal paste, reinstall cooler.
What is your ambient room temperature?

30-40 degrees Celsius

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017