Question what is the asus prime b450m-a/csm motherboard and cpu max voltage?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
what is the asus prime b450m-a/csm motherboard and cpu max voltage? im using a ryzen 7 1700x cpu overclocked to 3.9ghz with the voltage on auto getting up to 1.48v but the cpu and vrm stay very cool im using a corsair h100i v2 aio cooler, the reason for the voltage being on auto is cause there is no manual setting for voltage in the bios, just a manual voltage setting for the ram. also using 32gb of 3000mhz corsair vengeance pro rgb ram overclocked to 3250mhz.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
1.48v is very high.My motherboard have if i rem correctly an offset option which enables me to change voltage.It should have one option that enables voltage control.My mobo does the same on auto if i do it manaully i get 4.2ghz on 1.4v

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
1.48v is very high.My motherboard have if i rem correctly an offset option which enables me to change voltage.It should have one option that enables voltage control.My mobo does the same on auto if i do it manaully i get 4.2ghz on 1.4v
it seems high i know, but whats crazy is how cool everything is running. also i found the specs on max voltage, which amd claims 1.55v, im thinking as long as everything is running cool i should be ok. what do you think?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With Ryzen you should be running balanced power plan and Ryzen Master. 1.48 is very high, for the cpu. Most likely the reason you don't see a voltage option is because it's set to auto.

There isn't a voltage limit to motherboards as such, the limits are set by the cpu in question. Maximum safe voltage for Ryzens is 1.45v. Maximum SOC is 1.2v. Even with OC, nothing should be anywhere close to the 1.5v limit of the cpu or you are looking at damaging voltages.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
With Ryzen you should be running balanced power plan and Ryzen Master. 1.48 is very high, for the cpu. Most likely the reason you don't see a voltage option is because it's set to auto.

There isn't a voltage limit to motherboards as such, the limits are set by the cpu in question. Maximum safe voltage for Ryzens is 1.45v. Maximum SOC is 1.2v. Even with OC, nothing should be anywhere close to the 1.5v limit of the cpu or you are looking at damaging voltages.
im running high performance, not the balanced power plan, cause im overclocked, and yes the voltage is set to auto cause there is no option in the bios to manually set the voltage. very weird.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

ok, i brought down the cpu to 3850mhz, and now the voltage went down to 1.39v to 1.40v. and i switched the power plan to ryzen balanced mode.