What is the best 1440p monitor

herBS

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
I want a 1440p monitor but not too expensive because my build is over $1000 I really don't want to spend that much on my monitor. I was going to use an old Dell monitor but I realized it cant go to 1440p. I'm not sure if response time really matters. Does it give you a huge advantage? Is the difference between 1ms and 5ms noticeable?

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
What do you use your PC for?
(Work, Web surfing, Spreadsheets, 3D Modeling, Gaming, Email, Graphic Design, Simulations, ...)

Response times are valued by video game players, and probably some flight simulator pros. For the rest of us folk, we can't even see the difference of 1ms to 8ms if there were sitting side by side, and doing things like spreadsheets and web browsing. Those activities do not need speedy refresh rates or response times. Its useless. Kinda like if you put spikes on the bottom of your shoes, but you don't play sports that require running.

Here's a 27" BenQ (2560x1440) for about $420 at the time of this post.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1XA5336

Bottom line, your needs define your suitable product. What you would do with it, determines the specifications.

Eggz

Distinguished

herBS

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

It's mostly going to be used for gaming I might buy this monitor a little later (lets hope the price is the same!) but do you know reliable brand names? Or just links to lower or around the same price range?

Harv33

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
The best 1440p monitor for gaming is the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q http://www.amazon.com/PG278Q-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Mo.... There are no exceptions.... It's a 1440p monitor with 1ms response time and 144Hz refresh rate with multiple other features built in. There isn't a comparable 1440p gaming monitor on the market right now. Nothing is better.

If you want something for other than gaming then go with one of the other suggestions.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Gaming.
Cool, then you'd probably make use of low response times, high refresh rates, and wouldn't care much about color accuracy or viewing angles. So you'd be looking for a TN (Twisted Nematic) panel. Those are the cheapest for this kind of specific requirements. (Also most common.)

Yes, the ASUS ROG swift is probably the most elite option available at this time. You can determine if it fits your budget or not.

As for brands of monitors, here's a general summary: (Just to give you an idea.)
Gaming brands
ASUS, Acer, AOC, BenQ

Business brands (General use and light gaming)
LG, Samsung, HP, Dell, Philips

Professional (Non gaming. Work specific screens)
NEC, DoubleSight, HP, Dell

Cheapest (Beware of low quality)
Monoprice, Acer, AOC, Philips, ViewSonic, QNIX, Crossover, and lots more

There's most likely other brands that I missed, but this just to give you an idea of the brands out there. Each company, like HP for example, has its low end, and high end models. You can visit their websites and browse through them there, or use a website like Newegg.com to filter for specific features, like 1ms / 120hz etc.

herBS

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

I have been doing quite some research is this a good monitor for 1920 by 1080?

http://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-XL2720Z-27-Inch-1920x1080-Resolution/dp/B00GWFNMJS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1429673128&sr=8-4&keywords=benq+1080+1920

btw im using this for pc gaming

Eggz

Distinguished
I retract my earlier comment from February and replace it with this recommendation, because the Acer Predator XB270HU was not out yet. It's hands down the best 1440p monitor for gaming, and it's priced competitively.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTHr96NueA"][/video]
Here is a very thorough article from TFT Central, which compares the Acer XB270HU to the Asus ROG Swift, and the Acer definitely comes out on top. For gaming, it's a revolutionary thing, and it's also an amazing all-around display for doing just about any non-gaming task. If you can afford it, get it.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Glad you shared that one. I would only hesitate with the price. This thing is like a (Ferrari//Lamborghini) of monitors.

Eggz

Distinguished

Yeah, and it's the same price as the Swift, which is great! I mean, they're pricey, but they are special as well. At that level, you definitely have to pay to play. At the same time, I'd consider the Acer just to make my computer all around kick-ass. It's feature set make it great for anything besides professional color work in a 10-bit workspace; namely, everything that almost everyone does.

You can do photo editing on that thing, and the mouse cursor will be silky smooth going across the screen. Yes, its the best gaming monitor ever made, but it also does almost everything better than almost every other monitor. It's strange after technology progressions condition you to trade-offs, because this almost entirely eliminates all the major tradeoffs you typically find in display technology.