[SOLVED] What is the best air cooler for AMD Ryzen 5 3600

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Hello, I have recently rebuilt almost my entire PC and thinking about some other upgrades. I now have :

Ryzen 5 3600
B450E-Gaming
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1050 Ti
1TB 7200RPM
240GB Crucial MX500
Case : Deepcool CH510

I bought the case without the front airflow, because it looked very good and also was quite cheap.
I didn't expect, that the CPU would idle in bios at 60C. Of course it has a Stock Cooler, but still, that's a high temperature for an idle.
I am now thinking about buying a new CPU cooler ( Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo ) along with 5x kit of Arctic P12 PWM PST.
Is this a good configuration? Maybe newer and cheaper coolers were released now? What are your suggestions?

Solution
Before you purchase anything, drop the side panel on the case and see where temps report, taking into account your ambient. If you see a significant drop then you should consider case airflow. If you don't, consider the cooler and case fans.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMO you will continue to see high temps almost no matter what you do with that case. The front is stifling airflow. I would check to see if there is an available vented front, which would help if not completely solve the heat issue. I would suggest trying that first and see where temps fall to and then adjust with fans.

I use the Arctic PWM/PST fans and really like them for the price. There are two variants, the 'P' and 'F' series and have used both according to my requirements and desire for quiet. I also utilize their fan hub which is also inexpensive.

I have no specific knowledge of the CPU fan you mention.

Oct 25, 2022
Cooling will depend on the type of paste you use. Wether you use an AIO or a cooling fan radiator will all depend on your choice. From my experience, 3 lines (almost at the center to prevent from spilling on the sides) parallel to each other makes a good thermal conduction. I use Arctic MX4 & Thermalright Ak and it works fine. From 56°C to 42°C at idle for 15 minutes. Max temp is at 60°C. I'm using Ryzen 3 4350G PRO in my experiment.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before you purchase anything, drop the side panel on the case and see where temps report, taking into account your ambient. If you see a significant drop then you should consider case airflow. If you don't, consider the cooler and case fans.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
You can mount a pair of front 140mm intake fans. I would do that first.
140mm moves more air quietly.
Any cooler, air or aio needs a good source of cooling air to do it's job.
Then, since you seem to be budget constrained, look at this thermalright peerless assassin:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

i highly recommend this cooler :)

i had a be quiet pure rock 2 on my 3600x and it kept it very cool and quiet. was $40 and could handle about 160w or so which is more than the 3600x will pull. was a great choice and handled anything the 3600x could ask for. for $35 i got this peerless assassin and it easily cools 200w with a 5900x.

put that same $35 cooler on the 3600x and it won't ever have a cooling issue. for the money i can't think of a better cooler.

if you end up needing the better cooler i highly suggest this great budget option.