Question What is the best and most reliable way to backup or clone a Windows 10 laptop?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I bought a new Thinkpad with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed. Should I backup or clone the system in case something bad happen? What is the best and most reliable way to do it?

Thanks.

Reactions: LBComp

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Thanks. I recall that in Windows 7, one could take a snapshot of the system. Sometimes Windows did it automatically but sometimes the users could do it anytime he likes. Is Win 10 backup an advanced version of that?

What is the different between making a disk image vs. a recovery disk? I think both of them just clone the SSD drive?

How is Win 10 backup compared with Acronis True Image?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Win 10 carried over the Win7 backup/Restore app in Control Panel. It is basically the same app used in Win7. But you're confusing making a backup with making a disk image. They are not the same. Backup simply keeps a running copy of your files for restoring if necessary. Disk image is basically a "clone" so-to-speak in as much as it makes an "image" of the system's drives as they are at that moment. The image can be saved to an external drive or DVDs. Maybe even a network drive, although I haven't done that. When the imaging is finished, you are offered the option of making a restore disk (CD) to use if your syem is totally botched and you can't enter the OS. But you would need access to an optical drive, of course.

Restoring the image is pretty straight forward:
https://www.howtogeek.com/239312/how-to-restore-system-image-backups-on-windows-7-8-and-10/

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I mainly used Mac for the past 15 years. I used TimeMachine to do backup and Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive. Looking for similar or better solutions for my new Windows 10 laptop.

I recall that I used Norton Ghost about 20 years ago but it failed to restore. It was too late for me to find out that the software did not work reliably and lost the entire drive of data.

USAFRet

Titan

Did you read through my link above?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

yes.

USAFRet

Titan