[SOLVED] What is the best compatible motherboard for an Intel Core i5-4690K processor and an AMD RX 550 graphics card?

Jun 15, 2020
I want to get a new processor to play a game with better frames and I want to know what are the best motherboards under 200 that are compatible with the Intel Core i5-4690K and compatible for an AMD RX550 graphics card aswell.

Solution
well you're in great shape with that budget. a 4690k should not even be in your thoughts :)

i'd go with a ryzen 5 3600 as the cpu. they are about $175 or less right now. motherboards are hard to find in stock right now. the b550 boards are coming out very soon so it may be worth waiting a week to see how those boards look.

i actually just built this system a couple weeks ago and all worked great out of the box

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($128.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Total:...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
best is relative. look for the features you need and that's the "best" motherboard for you. here's what newegg has for that cpu in stock still.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007627 600438202&Order=PRICE

should give a starting point for deciding what you need. look at the filters on the left to start narrowing it down.

the z97 was the best chipset for that chip so i'd start filtering there.

honestly though unless you get these parts very cheap, then it is really not worth it. that is an old cpu that has been out of production for a while now. you can spend that $200 bucks on newer stuff and get a lot more bang for the buck. this assumes that you don't already have every piece but the mobo. i guess i could understand if you have the ram and so on already. no reason to buy ddr3 ram today either....

Jun 15, 2020
best is relative. look for the features you need and that's the "best" motherboard for you. here's what newegg has for that cpu in stock still.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007627 600438202&Order=PRICE

should give a starting point for deciding what you need. look at the filters on the left to start narrowing it down.

the z97 was the best chipset for that chip so i'd start filtering there.

honestly though unless you get these parts very cheap, then it is really not worth it. that is an old cpu that has been out of production for a while now. you can spend that $200 bucks on newer stuff and get a lot more bang for the buck. this assumes that you don't already have every piece but the mobo. i guess i could understand if you have the ram and so on already. no reason to buy ddr3 ram today either....
What newer cpu processor would you recommend thats sort of the same price?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what are you paying for the 4690k?

any more than about $50 and it's too much in my opinion considering what is available today with the ryzen line-up.

give me a budget and what parts you need and i can help pick some stuff for you. can make it happen for just about any budget.

most likely cpu/mobo/ram combo assuming you have gpu, hdd, psu and so on

Jun 15, 2020
what are you paying for the 4690k?

any more than about $50 and it's too much in my opinion considering what is available today with the ryzen line-up.

give me a budget and what parts you need and i can help pick some stuff for you. can make it happen for just about any budget.

most likely cpu/mobo/ram combo assuming you have gpu, hdd, psu and so on
I have a budget of like 250 for a cpu and about 150-200 for a motherboard. I'm just trying to find a good cpu for 250 or less thats as new as possible. And trying to find a good motherboard that is compatible with the new cpu and compatible with my AMD rx550 graphics card because I don't want to end up finding out that the motherboard doesnt work with my cpu or graphics card, or my cpu doesn't work with my motherboard.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well you're in great shape with that budget. a 4690k should not even be in your thoughts :)

i'd go with a ryzen 5 3600 as the cpu. they are about $175 or less right now. motherboards are hard to find in stock right now. the b550 boards are coming out very soon so it may be worth waiting a week to see how those boards look.

i actually just built this system a couple weeks ago and all worked great out of the box

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($128.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $466.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-15 18:06 EDT-0400

except i went for 32 gb ram of the same type. you can save about $100 and drop to the 3600 if you wish or save about $70 and get a 3600x. but if you don't need the ram, the 3700x is still under the budget you are looking at. not sure if you already have ddr4 ram waiting to be used.

edit: i will admit that a 3700x (8 cores/16 threads) is a bit of overkill for the gpu you have in mind. but it will last you a long time. you'll be upgrading that gpu twice before needing to worry about the cpu!!

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 15, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: $466.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-15 18:06 EDT-0400

except i went for 32 gb ram of the same type. you can save about $100 and drop to the 3600 if you wish or save about $70 and get a 3600x. but if you don't need the ram, the 3700x is still under the budget you are looking at. not sure if you already have ddr4 ram waiting to be used.

edit: i will admit that a 3700x (8 cores/16 threads) is a bit of overkill for the gpu you have in mind. but it will last you a long time. you'll be upgrading that gpu twice before needing to worry about the cpu!!
I will most likely use the CPU you recommended and the Motherboard you are using or the one I could wait for, but is the board you recommended compatible with the cpu you recommended and compatable for my amd RX550 graphics card. Thats most likely all I need to know now. Just want to make sure everything actually works and fits when I buy it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no idea when stock comes back in. you just have to check and recheck. it took me a couple days to get every part ordered. as soon as i added to my cart it would go out of stock 5 minutes later. amazon and newegg are not price gouging but the 3rd party sellers are. best buy should also be reg price if you can find something in stock there.

and yes it will all work together. i have the same cpu and mobo and it worked right out of the box no problems. your gpu will work without issue as well.

Jun 15, 2020
no idea when stock comes back in. you just have to check and recheck. it took me a couple days to get every part ordered. as soon as i added to my cart it would go out of stock 5 minutes later. amazon and newegg are not price gouging but the 3rd party sellers are. best buy should also be reg price if you can find something in stock there.

and yes it will all work together. i have the same cpu and mobo and it worked right out of the box no problems. your gpu will work without issue as well.
Alright. Thanks alot.