[SOLVED] What is the best CPU for an RTX 2060?

Mar 31, 2020
I recently bought an RTX 2060.

I’ve paired it up with my i7-7700K, and there’s quite a bottleneck.
1KasSZq.jpg

I’m quite disappointed since I sold my 1060 and 1070 to upgrade to a 2060, and this rig cost $950. I’ve got 16gb ram so that shouldn’t be an issue!

What CPU should I go with? Or, is there a solution for this software wise? I would sell my CPU, motherboard and ram in one package for a good price then buy something else.

Solution
Some brands of motherboards defaults the PCIe slots to Gen2 & we must manually select Gen3 for optimal performance. :)

Also, cooling is a major issue here, at least with your MB. One could fry eggs at that temp (or boil water). You need to perform a serious cleaning & if needed, add fans (a basic system needs one intake & one exhaust). I run two intakes & one exhaust of the Noctua brand on my main PC & have them all running at 100% all the time with a Noctua device for the job. It detects the RPM via a single PWM port (4 pin fan header) & makes sure all runs it's max (or set) speed. For those with 3 pin fans, there's a knob on the device to make these run wide open or however desired.

At any rate, I have a hunch the temp of the MB has...
That is a very good CPU. I think anyone here will agree that it is a fantastic matchup. The problem is definitely coming from somewhere else.

I notice a few issues just from your screenshot though.
The first issue I notice is the 72% CPU usage, which is unusually high. It should never go beyond 20-30% when playing in-game. And I also notice the higher-than-average CPU temp. If you're not running other apps in the background then this could be due to malware or some sleeper app that's using a lot of processes. I'm guessing you are streaming at the same time as you are playing? What is your CPU cooler model?

Also, what graphics settings are you using in-game? Because I have higher frames than u despite having a lower spec-ed rig. As for your GPU using very little VRAM - this is quite normal. Fortnite is not a very demanding game. If you load up something like CoD Warzone you will quickly see the difference.

In the meantime. There are a few things you could do:
  • Download Malwarebytes Free and run a virus scan
  • Download ADWCleaner and check for malware
  • Update Windows to latest version
  • Update your Graphics Drivers using NVIDIA GeForce Experience
  • Update all of your computer's drivers (you may use something like Driver Booster 7 FREE, although I recommend uninstalling it after you are done). ONLY DO THIS STEP AFTER WINDOWS HAS BEEN UPDATED.
  • Update your Motherboard BIOS (Optional but always useful).
I also would like to ask you to download Speccy to check some of your system information. Make sure your RAM and CPU are clocked at the right speeds as well.

Mar 31, 2020
That is a very good CPU. I think anyone here will agree that it is a fantastic matchup. The problem is definitely coming from somewhere else.

I notice a few issues just from your screenshot though.
The first issue I notice is the 72% CPU usage, which is unusually high. It should never go beyond 20-30% when playing in-game. And I also notice the higher-than-average CPU temp. If you're not running other apps in the background then this could be due to malware or some sleeper app that's using a lot of processes. I'm guessing you are streaming at the same time as you are playing? What is your CPU cooler model?

Also, what graphics settings are you using in-game? Because I have higher frames than u despite having a lower spec-ed rig. As for your GPU using very little VRAM - this is quite normal. Fortnite is not a very demanding game. If you load up something like CoD Warzone you will quickly see the difference.

In the meantime. There are a few things you could do:
  • Download Malwarebytes Free and run a virus scan
  • Download ADWCleaner and check for malware
  • Update Windows to latest version
  • Update your Graphics Drivers using NVIDIA GeForce Experience
  • Update all of your computer's drivers (you may use something like Driver Booster 7 FREE, although I recommend uninstalling it after you are done). ONLY DO THIS STEP AFTER WINDOWS HAS BEEN UPDATED.
  • Update your Motherboard BIOS (Optional but always useful).
I also would like to ask you to download Speccy to check some of your system information. Make sure your RAM and CPU are clocked at the right speeds as well.
Thanks for the quick response. Here are my specs:

i7-7700K (4.2GHz)
ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 AMP 6GB
MSI B250M PRO-VD
Corsair H100x High Peformance Liquid Cooler
Samsung EVO 860 SSD 250GB
2TB Western Digital HDD

I'm not streaming, all I have open in the background is Discord. CPU cooler model is listed above.

For my graphics, I use all low, except for view distance which is on medium.

vHqt7Ct.png

I've looked up the abnormal motherboard temperature, and apparently its a glitch.

Also, when I bought this PC, the previous owner pre-installed Windows 10. He played PUBG etc, but uninstalled that stuff.

Last edited:

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Some brands of motherboards defaults the PCIe slots to Gen2 & we must manually select Gen3 for optimal performance. :)

Also, cooling is a major issue here, at least with your MB. One could fry eggs at that temp (or boil water). You need to perform a serious cleaning & if needed, add fans (a basic system needs one intake & one exhaust). I run two intakes & one exhaust of the Noctua brand on my main PC & have them all running at 100% all the time with a Noctua device for the job. It detects the RPM via a single PWM port (4 pin fan header) & makes sure all runs it's max (or set) speed. For those with 3 pin fans, there's a knob on the device to make these run wide open or however desired.

At any rate, I have a hunch the temp of the MB has something to do with this. I recommend as julienruc was saying in downloading Adwcleaner (it's free!) & run a scan as Administrator. It'll find common infections & fast, plus any bloatware, you may skip these if desired. The serious infections will be lit in red, any pre-installed software will be orange. I run it once weekly for prevention on all of my computers, also reboot the modem & router by unplugging each & allow to stand for a minute, if nothing else, will speed the connection if not done in a long time.

You motherboard needs airflow in a bad way, especially around the VRM's. These are the various heatsinks, used to be more copper, these days more aluminum. It's possible with some models to replace the thermal paste on these heatsinks, however please check on your MB model as to how.

This could be why everything is running slower than normal, other than the GPU, according to your UserBenchmark report.

Good Luck!:)

Cat

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 31, 2020

At any rate, I have a hunch the temp of the MB has something to do with this. I recommend as julienruc was saying in downloading Adwcleaner (it's free!) & run a scan as Administrator. It'll find common infections & fast, plus any bloatware, you may skip these if desired. The serious infections will be lit in red, any pre-installed software will be orange. I run it once weekly for prevention on all of my computers, also reboot the modem & router by unplugging each & allow to stand for a minute, if nothing else, will speed the connection if not done in a long time.

You motherboard needs airflow in a bad way, especially around the VRM's. These are the various heatsinks, used to be more copper, these days more aluminum. It's possible with some models to replace the thermal paste on these heatsinks, however please check on your MB model as to how.

This could be why everything is running slower than normal, other than the GPU, according to your UserBenchmark report.

Good Luck!:)

Cat

I actually just reset my computer and there's quite a big difference!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26410743

Reactions: cat1092
Mar 31, 2020

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

I actually just reset my computer and there's quite a big difference!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26410743

Glad to hear it! (y)

This is an item that few overlooks, especially with Windows 10 upgrading twice per year. All of those upgrades piled upon one another is like laying a new roof (or two!) over the original. A reset, as opposed to an refresh or upgrade install, reformats the drive, making it like new again. SSD's will slow by as much as 50% after a dozen upgrades. Especially if not reformatted since an original upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 back in 2015 (original OS would be older).

I reset every other upgrade cycle, not only does a new foundation become laid for the OS, also gets rid of a lot of junk files, regaining drive space.

Nothing like a good old clean install, the same advice which applied to XP users after a Service Pack upgrade still holds true to this day.:)

Only we now have much faster & types of drives to choose from. Never thought would see the day I'd say a SATA-3 SSD is slow at over 520 MB/sec on reads & writes, yet am on one as typing this post. Six times faster on reads & near 5x on writes.......and this is only PCIe 3.0 NVMe.😷

Good Luck!

Cat

This is an item that few overlooks, especially with Windows 10 upgrading twice per year. All of those upgrades piled upon one another is like laying a new roof (or two!) over the original. A reset, as opposed to an refresh or upgrade install, reformats the drive, making it like new again. SSD's will slow by as much as 50% after a dozen upgrades. Especially if not reformatted since an original upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 back in 2015 (original OS would be older).
Never had this issue. Freshly installed Win10 1709, all updates to 1909 . Still as fast as it should be.