[SOLVED] What is the Best CPU I Can Install In...……..

12pak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
a Strix Z370e with 1151 socket that is still available to order new? Currently I have an i5-8600k in it, but I want to evaluate the possible performance increase of upgrading the CPU on this board vs buying a new board and CPU. Money is tight so if the gain is worth it, I would prefer to just upgrade my current CPU without having to upgrade a board too.

Solution
Best to wait and see how your 8600K performs with the new graphics card.

Have you overclocked your 8600K?
as of 3/22/2018
What % of I5-8600k chips can oc
at a aggressive vcore of 1.4 or so and delidded
4.9 96%
5.0 85%
5.1 66%
5.2 38%
5.3 13%
If needed, you can have your 8600K professionally delidded and binned for $40 at silicon lottery

Most of the 8th and 9th gen processors can run near 5.0.
The difference is how many threads you need for your particular games.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

If you are also multitasking then you can use more threads.

Try disabling one of your 6 cores and see...

12pak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
for what purpose do you wanna upgrade?

Guess I should have specified that up front. It's for my gaming machine for sure. It's already somewhat of a beast, but I'm considering making it more beast. I've already ordered a Strix 2080 Super Advanced, should be here today to replace my 1070ti. How much of a gain I get from that will factor into my decision to upgrade CPU or not. I'm betting the 2080 Super will get bottle necked pretty hard from the i5-8600k, so just starting to look at my CPU options now ;)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
9900k is best but to keep the thing cool requires effort. Good case air flow and preferably water if don't have room for a Noctua D15.

8700k is a really decent cpu, easier to cool and games are well threaded nowadays. I'd choose 8700k's 12 threads over the 9700k's 8 cores. Because the primary core has two threads improving command delay when other programs/services also use this core.

The primary core does a lot and is responsible for how affective the other cores are and do believe HT should be on the first core especially for best performance today. Amd do it throughout their whole Ryzen range.

Reactions: RodroX
at which resolution will you game on?

the 8600k won´t bottleneck that much, depending on which game you gonna play

will differ from the 8600k 120fps to 8700k/9700k/9900K 140fps (just an example picked out without reference) in other games it won´t give you any advantage. So really depends on what you really wanna spend for your system.

Best to wait and see how your 8600K performs with the new graphics card.

Have you overclocked your 8600K?
as of 3/22/2018
What % of I5-8600k chips can oc
at a aggressive vcore of 1.4 or so and delidded
4.9 96%
5.0 85%
5.1 66%
5.2 38%
5.3 13%
If needed, you can have your 8600K professionally delidded and binned for $40 at silicon lottery

Most of the 8th and 9th gen processors can run near 5.0.
The difference is how many threads you need for your particular games.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

If you are also multitasking then you can use more threads.

Try disabling one of your 6 cores and see how sensitive YOUR games are to the need for threads.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

What is your budget?

The 9600K does not make much sense as an upgrade.
It has the same 6 threads and clock.

9700K with 8 threads would be an upgrade and that is most likely the best upgrade.

9900K is likely not a good option.
The extra threads are not likely to be effectively used.
Past that the 9900K is a power hungry chip that may not play well with an older motherboard.
It also runs hot so you may well need a better cooler or case.

Solution

12pak

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I'm good on cooling. I've got one Corsair liquid coolers on my CPU, I forget witch one, but it's one of the good ones with 2 big fans and the RGB lights on the block. My case is a full tower with (2) 140s in the front, (1) 140 in the back, (1) 120 on the bottom and the (2) 120s on top if you count the 2 fans on the hydro cooler. I think I'm leaning toward the i7 if I decide to upgrade CPU too.

Thanks for all the good info. Wish there was a way to give best answer to more than one post, lol.

Edit: The model of cooler I have I believe is the H100i RGB Pro. It's a little over a year old.

Last edited: