Question What is the best CPU to pair with my GTX 1650 ?

akisha_009

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
Currently I have an Intel i5 6500 and a GTX 1650. Tryed to play Valorant and it is going about 100fps, but frames freezees, I dont know how to explain. And I see my CPU is running 95% and GPU only about 35-55%. Also when nothing is running in the background (only windows processes) CPU usage is between 7% and 20% and somethimes can go up to 30% .
So what CPU should I buy to pair with my GTX 1650 ?

Now I have Intel-i5 6500 and GTX1650. Tryed to play valorant and it is going about 100fps, but frames freezees, I dont know how to explain. And I see my CPU is running 95% and GPU only about 35-55%. Also when nothing is running in the background (only windows processes) CPU usage is between 7% and 20% and somethimes can go up to 30% .What CPU should I buy to pair for my GTX 1650?
What country are you located and what is your budget?

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
You can likely upgrade the cpu to as much as a i7-7700K.
You would get 4 more threads and a higher single core performance.
Single thread performance is most important for gaming on games like valorant.
Run the CPU-Z bench and look at your single thread performance rating.
The single thread rating should be about 383:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/w7q4vs
The I7-7700K would score 500 but it may well cost over $150 used on ebay.

Now I have Intel-i5 6500 and GTX1650. Tryed to play valorant and it is going about 100fps, but frames freezees, I dont know how to explain. And I see my CPU is running 95% and GPU only about 35-55%. Also when nothing is running in the background (only windows processes) CPU usage is between 7% and 20% and somethimes can go up to 30% .What CPU should I buy to pair for my GTX 1650?
What is your cpu usage while sitting at the desktop with nothing running?

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
I would suggest a R5 3600 would allow you to make full potential of a 1650 (I had a R5 3600 and a 1660 with no bottlenecks)

Reactions: akisha_009

akisha_009

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
You can likely upgrade the cpu to as much as a i7-7700K.
You would get 4 more threads and a higher single core performance.
Single thread performance is most important for gaming on games like valorant.
Run the CPU-Z bench and look at your single thread performance rating.
The single thread rating should be about 383:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/w7q4vs
The I7-7700K would score 500 but it may well cost over $150 used on ebay.
I bought HP 600 M. T G2, and I can't find what is motherboard for this PC

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Being a pre-built, you'll be restricted in which cpus you can upgrade to, it's a bios function and pre-built companies don't want you upgrading outside of their control. So what you'll find is generally the only possible upgrades are to those that were original options in the family. That means no K cpus. Your best bet would be the i7 6700/ i7-7700 after bios update, as most likely that would be a cpu included as the top option for that model.

akisha_009

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
You might want to spend some time and find out what is causing that usage.

I don't know what is normal but on this machine I see zero.
I see a lot of windows processes, also I saw few days ago Microsoft SharePoint backgroun process, I dont use Microsoft SharePoint, I dont even have it installed! Task Manager can use up to 12%, I dont know what is happening but I think new processor can fix things

akisha_009

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
Being a pre-built, you'll be restricted in which cpus you can upgrade to, it's a bios function and pre-built companies don't want you upgrading outside of their control. So what you'll find is generally the only possible upgrades are to those that were original options in the family. That means no K cpus. Your best bet would be the i7 6700/ i7-7700 after bios update, as most likely that would be a cpu included as the top option for that model.
So you are saying the best I can get i7-6700? Do you think that will fix my problems?

I dont think that on prebuilt HP i can change motherboard.
Fair enough, then a 6th or 7th gen i7 is your only option. Some games will still heavily tax a 4 core/8 thread CPU but from my own experience I would expect you to notice a significant difference. It may not be an acceptable solution to you but playing at 60 FPS would significantly reduce the load on your CPU.

akisha_009

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
I can get i7-6700 for 93.3e, and I can get i7-7700 for 140e, what do you think I should get?

I see a lot of windows processes, also I saw few days ago Microsoft SharePoint backgroun process, I dont use Microsoft SharePoint, I dont even have it installed! Task Manager can use up to 12%, I dont know what is happening but I think new processor can fix things
You can spend some bucks going to a 6700 or you can spend some time trimming back unneeded stuff......your call.

akisha_009

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
You can spend some bucks going to a 6700 or you can spend some time trimming back unneeded stuff......your call.
I totally agree with you, I tryed to find something on internet about that, but can't find anything. I even disabled almost all of services running in the background (except for windows processes), i dont even know what causes this problem

akisha_009

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
Fair enough, then a 6th or 7th gen i7 is your only option. Some games will still heavily tax a 4 core/8 thread CPU but from my own experience I would expect you to notice a significant difference. It may not be an acceptable solution to you but playing at 60 FPS would significantly reduce the load on your CPU.
Now I play valorant at about 90fps without problems, nothing in the background. Valorant is CPU based game, so that means better the CPU, better the game runs. So I think from 4 core/4 thread to 4 core/8 thread is going to be the best thing i can do

I totally agree with you, I tryed to find something on internet about that, but can't find anything. I even disabled almost all of services running in the background (except for windows processes), i dont even know what causes this problem
Trimming back unneeded stuff can be a slow process of try this/try that.

It's also a user specific thing meaning I may need some item and you may not.

Start with task manager/perf/startup......make it skinny.