Question What is the best defense against GPU sag?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
I've seen lego setups, duct tape. One guy even used a bra. I'm sure these are fantastic ideas but is there anything I can get that was specifically designed to solve this problem? I saw the MNPTech one but its got a design flaw that can drop your GPU. I seen the one from UpHere. It doesn't look sturdy or strong. It looks thin enough that it could slide out from under. Ive seen the vertical ones that sit at the bottom of your case. But they aren't fixed in place. Is there anyone that's solid, sturdy, and strong. If I have to pay $857,148,996,070,011,363.38 USD for it, I'm prepared to do that. I just want something reliable. Any suggestions?

They might look thin like the GPU could fall off, but this is unlikely. If you look at the brace you will see most of the horizontal braces have rubber feet that your gpu rests on.

Also, most big GPUs are wider than these braces so the brace slides under the gpu a few mm from the edge. It's doubtful that it would fall off.

Horazontal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GYL25...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Vertical:
https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Graph...ocphy=9006686&hvtargid=pla-571699433718&psc=1

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
They might look thin like the GPU could fall off, but this is unlikely. If you look at the brace you will see most of the horizontal braces have rubber feet that your gpu rests on.

Also, most big GPUs are wider than these braces so the brace slides under the gpu a few mm from the edge. It's doubtful that it would fall off.

Horazontal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GYL25...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Vertical:
https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Graph...ocphy=9006686&hvtargid=pla-571699433718&psc=1

The vertical one...... that base has no area. I could it ending badly..... and its not very likely but it could happen. The horizontal one..... unless the 3 screws are mounted to the top of the bracket, theres nothing to stop it from free falling.... even if you hire the incredible hulk to tighten them screws

theres nothing to stop it from free falling
The actual metal piece sits a few mm under the gpu. That would keep it from falling.

Also, on the vertical one. the brace is supposed to tightly push up against the gpu to prevent sag. This pressure would push the base into the case. the small base is all that's needed.

Also, the GPU is still screwed into the case. It wouldn't simply fall out if the brace fails.

Look at all of the reviews. If the brace didn't properly work there wouldn't be so many good reviews.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
The actual metel piece sits a few mm under the gpu. That would keep it from falling.

Also, the GPU is still screwed into the case. It wouldn't simply fall out if the brace fails.

That's not what I'm referring to. The three holds that actually screw into your case on the case side. Its adjustable. It can slide up and down. If you slide it all the way up, the screws are now at the bottom of those 3 holes, whats to stop it from free falling?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Most graphics cards are not that heavy. The friction from tightly installed screws should be sufficient.

And it should be. But Im very worried that it wouldn't be lol. Its just me. That's why I want something with a fixed hole size on both ends. They should make it fixed hole size, and include 5 different size tall rubber dinguses that go on the end, so no matter which one you put on, its not possible for it to free fall. I know its highly unlikely as is, but I want to eliminate all possibility. Im looking for one with fixed hole sizes or an adjustable rubber end

USAFRet

Titan
First, buy and learn a 3D printer.
Second, design an infinitely adjustable screwjack, of appropriate height.

miwYbi5.png

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
That is the prototype GPU sag preventer currently in my system.
Designed and printed by me.
My current printer is defunct, but a new one is sort of in the pipeline.

New models of "GPU Sag Preventers" coming out early in the new year (hopefully).
Want one?

Well. I kinda need it sooner rather than later, as I have parts ordered already

Not every GPU is the same thickness. The screws have to be adjustable in order to fit different thickness coolers.

The only way to get one with no adjustability that is guarenteed to fit is to custom make one.

If it's too high, you loosen the screws and lower them. Then re-tighten them. It is that simple.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
And I was (sort of) joking.

But that blue thing in the pic above works perfectly. It was a fun project.

(sag in a GPU is not really something to worry about)
I know you were joking. I was playing along. It was fun. I know GPU sag isn't usually anything to worry about. But I've read over time it can cause stress in the board, connectivity loss, bend the PCB and all kinds of other issues

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Not every GPU is the same thickness. The screws have to be adjustable in order to fit different thickness coolers.

The only way to get one with no adjustability that is guarenteed to fit is to custom make one.

If it's too high, you loosen the screws and lower them. Then re-tighten them. It is that simple.

They could make it fixed screw holds and adjustability with the bump stop. Just include 5 different bump stop sizes, where one is just a tiny bit taller than the other

TRENDING THREADS