[SOLVED] What is the best File System & Allocation unit size for a 128 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive?

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
Its File system is exFAT by default (which I THINK is what's best because it allows for higher allocation unit sizes) and I will be transferring large files on it. It goes from 8192 kilobytes all the way up to 32,768 kilobytes.

Solution
Allocation size depends on the filesizes you are going to save on it. Say you choose 4kb alloc size. Well, every file will take up at least 4 kb. Even if it's a text file of 10 bytes. I feel this mattered a lot more when drives were smaller and files were smaller. I haven't cared for at least a decade. I'm not saying it isn't a valid concern.
I think the case was that the larger the allocation size, the faster it was but more wasted space of course. I want to say allocation size between 4 kb and 16 kb was best in most cases. You would have to look up old articles. 10-15 years old.

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
If it's s generic brand, if I were you, I'd work with NTFS and leave the allocation size to default. Make and model of the pen drive?

Its default file system is exFAT should I still change it to NTFS? Also, won't using smaller allocation sizes make the flash drive able to store more?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Allocation size depends on the filesizes you are going to save on it. Say you choose 4kb alloc size. Well, every file will take up at least 4 kb. Even if it's a text file of 10 bytes. I feel this mattered a lot more when drives were smaller and files were smaller. I haven't cared for at least a decade. I'm not saying it isn't a valid concern.
I think the case was that the larger the allocation size, the faster it was but more wasted space of course. I want to say allocation size between 4 kb and 16 kb was best in most cases. You would have to look up old articles. 10-15 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaishlothon
Solution