what is the best gpu upgrade for my phenom ii x4 925 2.8 GHz?

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I am planing to buy a gpu but i dont know what is best for my system .here are my specs,.
MOBO: 790 FX GD-70
PROCESSOR: Phenom ii x4 925 2.8 GHZ
PSU: COUGAR CM 700 WATTS
RAM: 8 Gig of RIPJAWS ram

please help me to choose a video card for my sytem , im planing to choose R9 280x toxic but i heard a lot of complain about that card, is there any fix? what about gtx 960? i also have some doubt of this card because im afraid i will give less perfomance and lag than the r9 280x toxi. PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE THE RIGHT CARD FOR THIS OLD SYSTEM, I also have some plans on upgrading to intel in the future since i dont have the budget right now.i just want to buy a gpu for me to play the games today while waiting for upgrade ,,thanks in advance...

Solution
The best gtx 970 are the cheaper ones from gigabyte, asus, evga, msi, etc.

However the top three performing cards and greatoverclocking choose the cheapest between these three:
Asus Strix
MSI gaming
Gigabyte G1

Evga's ACX 2.0 is also a good option if found much cheaper (20$ or more) than the three i mentioned.

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

yes, issue about screen flickering and artifacts ,a lot of people who own a R9 280x have that problem ,im afraid to have that problem thats why i have doubt to buy the card .what do you think sir?should i buy that card? a lot of people complaining about the flickering and artifacts appearing on the screen most of them RMA the card but here in my country i dont know if they will let me.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKCmHSXZ3E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZzYoE1rbIA

logainofhades

Titan
They probably have issues, because they are trying to overclock the card, or have a crappy power supply. Your CPU is going to bottleneck a 280x, though. Honestly, anything over a 270x is probably a waste of money, unless you plan on upgrading the motherboard and cpu soon.

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

im planing to upgrade the system to intel ,but not now because i dont have the budget right now,while waiting im planing to buy a gpu .what gpu do you think shoud i get sir?

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

realy sir this card will perform good and better in my system ?if that is the case i think im going to choose the gtx 970,but what about the memory issue they say it is still 3.5 gig of memory ?or the nvidia change it to 4 gig as they say in the specification.?

It really doesn't matter. The difference between 3.5 and 4 gb is insignificant. I own two 970 in sli and I play everything in 4k, so all the people complaining really don't have a reason to. The 970 is a 3.5 card and at the moment is enough for even 4k high detail so you won't have a problem. I recorded this video at 4k Max settings using my setup:Mortal Kombat X Scorpion vs Goro UHD 4k Max setti…: http://youtu.be/zB9qSyaqF3o

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

what is the best brand of gtx 970 for my system sir?

TNT27

Distinguished
The best gtx 970 are the cheaper ones from gigabyte, asus, evga, msi, etc.

However the top three performing cards and greatoverclocking choose the cheapest between these three:
Asus Strix
MSI gaming
Gigabyte G1

Evga's ACX 2.0 is also a good option if found much cheaper (20$ or more) than the three i mentioned.

Solution

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

thank you for your time and suggestion, im going to buy asus strix gtx 970 or the evga 960 ftw edition. while saving money while waiting for my upgrade.. will i see a very good improvement on the game?

TNT27

Distinguished
You will notice great improvments in gaming. If you notice your cpu starts to bottlneck, all you ave to do is lower certain settings that affect cpu such as shadows in some games, and then raise graphics settings for a prettier and faster game experince.

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

what is the best gpu should i buy for my system?

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

i have a cougar cm 700 watts ,and R9 280x vapor-x was my first choice but i read a lot of complains on r9 280x.its about the flickering and artifacts on the screen

TNT27

Distinguished
the 280x is a great card, most of those complaints are due to user errors, or die hard Nvida fans.

Its problly the best value card out there capable of playing any game 1080p ultra settings.

But if you plan on upgrading the rest of system later, i highly suggest going with a r9 290, 290x, or gtx 970.

xandzero881

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

yes i am only playing at 1080p ,im just woried that if i buy the r9 280x i will experience the same with other people mayb.e im going to the gtx 970.