Question What is the best graphic card for i5 4440

samuy

Honorable
Sep 14, 2014
What is the best graphic card pairing with i5 4440? I can go for RTX2060 but I believe it will bottleneck pretty bad. This should be my last upgrade before going for new PC. I'm currently using GTX960 2GB on my i5 4440. I find it struggle even playing Far Cry 5. Any recommendation best graphic card to be paired with i5 4440?

Depends on the games you play - do you play heavy multiplayer games or games that need more than 4 cores? Games like these include Assassin's Creed Origins, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield One and V, and a few others. If you do wish to play these games, then the i5 44400 will indeed be a bottleneck, so I would honestly hold off this GPU upgrade until you have the budget to upgrade to a new PC. If you just want to get the GPU upgrade out of the way right now, then yes, an RTX 2060 would be a decent upgrade from 960, it's quite a lot faster. But with the RTX 2060 and i5 4440, expect heavy CPU bottlenecking in some games, and mild bottlenecking in others.

samuy

Honorable
Sep 14, 2014
Depends on the games you play - do you play heavy multiplayer games or games that need more than 4 cores? Games like these include Assassin's Creed Origins, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield One and V, and a few others. If you do wish to play these games, then the i5 44400 will indeed be a bottleneck, so I would honestly hold off this GPU upgrade until you have the budget to upgrade to a new PC. If you just want to get the GPU upgrade out of the way right now, then yes, an RTX 2060 would be a decent upgrade from 960, it's quite a lot faster. But with the RTX 2060 and i5 4440, expect heavy CPU bottlenecking in some games, and mild bottlenecking in others.
I'm looking for newer games such as COD:MW and Dying Light 2. I don't know whether in the future gonna have a very good CPU demanding game to play.

Then you probably will see some bottlenecking. When do you plan on building a new system? If it's before these games are released, you can buy the GPU now, but if you plan on playing such games with the current system then perhaps you shouldn't invest in a GPU yet, since prices may get better in the future or better GPU's may be available for cheaper/same price.

You will always do better with a stronger graphics card. The question is by how much?
To get some idea, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

How strong the graphics card upgrade can be will be limited by your power supply.
You need a decent 450w PSU for a RTX2060.
A RTX2060 is not that demanding and will use about the same power as your GTX960.
Such a card can be easily moved to a future new build.
I think you have a good plan, particularly for fast action games.