[SOLVED] what is the best graphics card for Dell opiplex 380!

Jonathan_Steadman

Commendable
Jul 20, 2021
I want to add a graphics card to my Linux system. The reason for this is play games and open more newer softwares like blender.

I use Dell opiplex 380 SFF. I am upgrading the ram soon but need help finding a good graphics card.
Thanks. :)

Solution
Probably want an AMD card then, better Linux support.

SFF limits you to low power low profile cards. So an R5-230 through r7-240, R5-330, R7-430, Maybe stretch to a low profile RX550, though I doubt you will find one of those.

On the Nvidia side of things, GT730 GDDR5 is probably the fastest you could hope to find at a reasonable price (Doesn't appear to be any right now), anything less really not worth it. GT1030 GDDR5 might be doable as well, but the low profile ones are generally pretty expensive ~$150.

So looking for all of these on ebay is probably the way to go, preferably with the low profile bracket included or installed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably want an AMD card then, better Linux support.

SFF limits you to low power low profile cards. So an R5-230 through r7-240, R5-330, R7-430, Maybe stretch to a low profile RX550, though I doubt you will find one of those.

On the Nvidia side of things, GT730 GDDR5 is probably the fastest you could hope to find at a reasonable price (Doesn't appear to be any right now), anything less really not worth it. GT1030 GDDR5 might be doable as well, but the low profile ones are generally pretty expensive ~$150.

So looking for all of these on ebay is probably the way to go, preferably with the low profile bracket included or installed.

Solution

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
The best you can get is a 1660 ti low profile, but that's going to be hard to find. Best bet would be a 1050 ti low profile or maybe RX 560 low profile. Wouldn't get lower than 1030 low profile.
Actually, the best is a 1650. Low profile and a mini card are different. Mini cards are short but still have a full-size bracket and are prioritized for fitting in mini itx systems. Low-profile GPUs don't have as much depth and have a low-profile bracket for fitting in thin pcs like dell sff.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-128-Bit-Included-Graphics/dp/B07ZTXYVMN

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The best you can get is a 1660 ti low profile, but that's going to be hard to find. Best bet would be a 1050 ti low profile or maybe RX 560 low profile. Wouldn't get lower than 1030 low profile.

1660Ti would not be able to be powered by the Optiplex, 120W card. GTX1650 is possible, but those are not going to be cheap, $550 for the cheapest low profile card. That is more than the Optiplex is worth, in which case, buying an inexpensive gaming laptop is a better investment.

1050Ti low profile are in the same boat, $300 new. Still a relevant card, might be hard to track one down on ebay. RX560 is in the same category as well.

Reactions: jacob249358

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I would take an old Optiplex with a GX1650 in it over any gaming laptop you could possibly buy for $500.

The GTX1650 Low-profile is what you want, and is the absolute fastest card that would work in a SFF Optiplex 380.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
So the answer to the question of what GPU do I buy for my optiplex is a Ryzen 5600G?

Fair enough, the OP specified no budget but just picking the most expensive card available for an old clunker with probably a Q6600 in it, then I do agree it's a waste. If we assume a more reasonable budget of £200 maybe?

Considering the computer is easily 15 years old then maybe a used part on ebay is a good bet for a GPU. In which case something like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403323503097

A used 1050Ti would be about the cheapest card that you could buy that has any chance of delivering decent performance in Blender.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So the answer to the question of what GPU do I buy for my optiplex is a Ryzen 5600G?

Fair enough, the OP specified no budget but just picking the most expensive card available for an old clunker with probably a Q6600 in it, then I do agree it's a waste. If we assume a more reasonable budget of £200 maybe?

Considering the computer is easily 15 years old then maybe a used part on ebay is a good bet for a GPU. In which case something like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403323503097

A used 1050Ti would be about the cheapest card that you could buy that has any chance of delivering decent performance in Blender.

That wouldn't fit. It isn't low profile.

My original suggestion list covers most of the more recent low profile cards. Sadly neither Nvidia or AMD are making low end GPUs, those they do make end up as mobile GPUs.