Question What is the best method for attaching Gpu VRM and Vram heatsinks!?

Dec 11, 2021
Which one of these is the best method?
  • Adhesive Tape
  • Thermal Pad(not sure if it will hold the heatsink though)
  • Thermal Glue
I personally think Thermal glue is the best way though permanently :(

I'm planning to add them to my 6800xt!
The rest of the system:

• Windows 10 Home
  • Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Rx6800xt
  • Crucial 32GB DDR4 2×16 3600Mhz
  • HP 1200w 1U server PSU Platinum
  • ASROCK FATAL1TY B450 itx with Ryzen 6000 Bios update support!
  • Cooling Solution Alphacool NexXxos X-flow 40mm x60mm server radiators(pump is DC-LT 3600)
  • Case is (Self made in 1U form factor) Material Aluminium 2.5mm
Thank you for your time ;)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What does the GPU VRM and Vram heatsink installation documentation say?

Are the methods you list specifically listed in and/or supported by the installation documentation?

If so, then the choice of a method is a fair question and at some point can be resolved to a recommended method.

Unsupported methods may void warranties at best and damage components at worst.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: Arbër1041
Dec 11, 2021

Are the methods you list specifically listed in and/or supported by the installation documentation?

If so, then the choice of a method is a fair question and at some point can be resolved to a recommended method.

The card is the original from AMD Radeon's website not from a third party supplier like Asus, Evga or Gigabyte!
See the main thread for full system specs.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
Glue does sound like the best option if you plan on never removing the heat sink from the part being cooled. Otherwise, thermally conductive tape would be better if there's no mechanical support for the heat sink.
Yeah but I would need some rough estimates on how good the thermal tape is compared to a proper thermal pad like the percentage of how good it is compared to thermal pads!?

Ralston18

Titan
Okay: I found (but do verify) the Quick Installation Guide:

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-quick-start-guide.pdf

However the guide is just that: "quick".

There appears to be no mention regarding methods to attach heat sinks.

Which, in my mind, is flag that if you do so and things go astray, then the manufacturer can claim a warranty violation.

And the quick start guide includes the standard sort of language:

"Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. makes no representations or warranties with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the contents of this document, and assumes no liability of any kind, including the implied warranties of noninfringement, merchantability or fitness for particular purposes, with respect to the operation or use of AMD hardware, software or other products described herein. "

Not saying that the cooling methods/plans in mind cannot or should not be done. Likely has been done many times. Some ideas and suggestions have been offered. (No disagreements with any suggestions per se but using thermal glue is not something I would do.)

Two ending thoughts then:

1) Will the heat sinks (independent of attachment method) really add or help with performance in a truly noticeable manner?

2) Are you willing to absorb the losses if the attachment method proves inadequate and ends badly. And warranty is voided?

Dec 11, 2021

Glue does sound like the best option if you plan on never removing the heat sink from the part being cooled. Otherwise, thermally conductive tape would be better if there's no mechanical support for the heat sink.
Yes but looking at the original cooling solution I am afraid that small 1.5x1.5 cm copper heat sinks won't be suffient enaugh to keep the temps down, though I have seen some cards from Gigabyte that have this aluminium face plate that absolutely cripples the cooling of the memory thus fortifying my belief that copper fined heatsinks are a much more efficient way of removing that heat, though I will have to wait and see if someone else does it and if they have success at doing it!!
Also I found a Thermal adhesive that Arctic Silver makes it's called Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and the heat exchange rate is about 9 w/mk (good quality paste has about 12.5 w/mk)

Also there seems to be a trick where if you mix 2 parts Thermal Adhesive to 1 part Thermal Paste, the bond becomes semi permanent meaning if I choose so I can remove them in the future without damaging the board!

Also I gain a bit more thermal conductivity by mixing in the paste ;) so everyone is happy in the end. :D

Thank you for your time if you made it this far!

TRENDING THREADS