What is the best motherboard brand?

By its very nature AsRock cannot be the best motherboard brand since its ASUS's lower end brand, but since it is a derivative of ASUS it does have very good boards, often at very good prices. But in terms of overall quality i would put ASUS and gigabyte tied at the top, then MSI and EVGA then the less common ones.

Asus and Gigabyte are viewed as the best here, if you judge by the number of configurations that are put together on request. You will seldom see other manufacturers used, unless there are specific reviews available on specific boards. or the budget is tight.

Gigabyte's web site, available support, and service have been superior to Asus in my personal experience, and so I rate Gigabyte #1.

nattylite

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
ASUS has good motherboard/components with a wide variety BUT they have REALLY REALLY BAD customer support in the last several years, so pray that you don't get a bad mobo or have something breaks. I have used ASUS components (2 mobos, monitor, etc) for a while now, it's great if it doesn't break but if it does good luck the RMAs. Most recently, my M4A79XTD EVO died after 1 year of use, RMAed and was sent a bad mobo with 2 bad memory slot; special RMAed that (which is where they send to the replacement while your package is in transit) and got another bad mobo with BIOS problem and one bad memory slot. In addition, the replacement was not sent in a timely manner (while "in-transit") even though a called TWICE with my tracking number. Essentially they sent you other "fixed board" as a replacement but it not as fixed as they though. I'm about RMA again but I don't know how lucky i'll be and get one that isn't broken.

My Gigebyte mobo and video card (radeon 4850) (in another PC i built for my parents) hasn't broke (after 4 years for the mobo and 3 for the video card) so I can't really comment on their support.

Since the last fiasco with my Transformer Prime table and the RMA troubles lately, I decided to stay away from ASUS from now on (the sad thing is they used to be a lot better with it).

codyds

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Just logging in here to get a general consensus for research on a possible new board. I've only used ASUS and only recommended them. Two boards on my own, 6 installed for other people. Only one problem. The problem is my current board. I am on the fourth RMA with the board. No, it isn't a typo. After this, I highly doubt I'll ever buy another one. Not because they aren't good, but if you get unlucky it becomes a long, drawn out affair. I haven't had a working mobo for 2 months with no clear end in sight. The board even has physical damage from shipment from the first return and they still keep sending it back saying it is issue free. Beware.

vittoriocb

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

In my experience I can say ASUS is the worst brand in gaming and other devices. They are very good in marketing and making you believe they are high quality but in truth they are a very cheap chinese brand.

I have had 2 ASUS motherboards, had to replace both. The first one was usable for about 3 months, and the second one (bought last month) was never usable because it was damaged from factory and the wholesaler refused to exchange.

I also have an ASUS android tablet with many problems.

ASUS is just low quality overall. My recommendation: Stay Away.

In contrast I have had a good experience with Gigabyte gaming products.

headhuntersix

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I've only ever used Gigabyte. I can't comment on their cheaper boards, the lowest end I've gone is UD3H (I just ordered a UD5H for my next computer), but I've never had a board fail in under four years, and all of them except that one have made it to the trash in working order when the obsolete CPU eventually failed. I'm sure that a $50 Gigabyte board is just as bad as any other $50 board, though. If you're not spending at least $120 on a motherboard, it doesn't much matter what brand it is, it's like putting $20 tires on your car. Yes, they're made out of rubber, and they hold air, but they aren't going to keep your car on the road in a bad situation.

DikoObraz

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I dont understand why they missed AsRock???

TechGuruGames

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015

same! asrock should be there too

MCID47

Distinguished
I'll Put ASUS and Gigabyte as equal, but in other case of "tight budget", ECS also serve a good performance as well as fewer features and somewhat worse on QC. In my motherboard list, depending on features/performance, i can say MSI board is the best performance/feature as they had enough or maybe alot of useless thingy on their official software. But when moving on price/performance, ASRock and probably Biostar is the best choice, because i think most of their board are targeted for low end PC build consumer as sometimes, not anybody can buy a High-End and cost alot of of money like ASUS ROG board, EVGA or even MSI gaming series motherboard. Considering how much your budget is, and how much performance you need is very complicated and not as simple as you think. Also, Gigabyte has the best consumer service of all time i've ever seen (above MSI services), instead of performance, in case of Broken or request of RMA, this is might be the important thing to know.

So i put Motherboard brand list depending on how much you can get from your budget as #1 is Gigabyte #2 is ASUS #3 is MSI #4 is ASRock #5 is EVGA #6 is Biostar and ECS #7 is Intel #8 is Gateway and the rest is on the same tier like Jetway, IBM, Foxconn e.t.c.

Wikingking

Commendable
Nov 11, 2019
I dont understand why they missed AsRock???

same! asrock should be there too

The poll is from 2007...
I think it is time for a new one.

Jan 24, 2020
I used ASUS products for many years and had no issue. I bought a wi-fi add-on board that I had problems with and contacted ASUS customer service. It was the worst experience I ever had with customer service. They sent me a number of emails but none that actually addressed the problem. It was as if they never read the initial complaint. After about 10 emails with them I installed the add-on board in my Linux machine where it worked fine. Even after telling them that I still received emails from them. Horrible! So I stopped being an ASUS customer at that point.