[SOLVED] What is the best option to replace my old M5 a97 evo motherboard's AMD processor

May 26, 2022
Hi.
Around 2012, 12 years ago I build miself my first and only pc gamer.
Those days I walked to the local Comp USA and I choose the components based in my mid tight budget...
So, I been gaming the last 12 years in this rig... The following are my specs.
Mother board: Asus M5 a97evo 1.0
Processor : AMD Phenom II x6 (don't have at hand the exact model)
Ram : corsair vengeance DDR3
4 modules of 4 gb each one (16 gb total)
GPU: gigabyte nvidia gforce 1660 ti OC 6gb.
HDD : 2X 2TB western digital
I play in a regular 1080p TV with HDMI cable.
and my old but super cool Logitech z-5500 sound system.
With this build, (what I believe is not so bad although little old) right know I am playing games like halo infinity, gears 5, metro exodus, resident evil village each one in ultra in almost every spec and very stable most of the time... I can play also doom eternal in ultra, with some random freezes, regarding the bottleneck that I believe is caused by the low loading times of the hdd. I can run it through an Intel sde emulator set because my old processor doesn't support the instruction set required for runnig the game. Even so the game runs very well almost all the time...
Regarding halo infinity, when I launch it windows comes with a messege about the same incompatibility about the processor, but then the game boots and start as well... Of course loading times are extense in this game, but once I start actually playing it, goes pretty smooth. Every spec in ultra except for the textures, I cant go in ultra... But I believe this one in ultra is for those guys playing in 4k. Other that that the game looks pretty nice.
Well, I am not an expert, I don't know to much about processors, given said that, what I am asking is if someone can't tell me if I can replace my processor with another one that supports the instruction set required for some new games.... I don't know if actually exist a processor of that time that supports the instruction set required for some new games..
Like doom eternal, assassin's creed origins, little nightmares, etc, etc...
I belive is something Like SSE 4.2 or so.
Any suggestions??

Or do I really need to go for a newer main board and processor??
Any suggestions guys????

By the way, sorry about my bad redaction, since I am mexican I am not pretty well about it.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi.
Those days I walked to the local Comp USA and I choose the components based in my mid tight budget...
With this build, (what I believe is not so bad although little old) right know I am playing games like halo infinity, gears 5...
Hi.
With this build, (what I believe is not so bad although little old) right know I am playing games like halo infinity, gears 5, metro exodus, resident evil village each one in ultra in almost every spec and very stable most of the time... I can play also doom eternal in ultra, with some random freezes, regarding the bottleneck that I believe is caused by the low loading times of the hdd. I can run it through an Intel sde emulator set because my old processor doesn't support the instruction set required for runnig the game. Even so the game runs very well almost all the time...
Regarding halo infinity, when I launch it windows comes with a messege about the same incompatibility about the processor, but then the game boots and start as well... Of course loading times are extense in this game, but once I start actually playing it, goes pretty smooth. Every spec in ultra except for the textures, I cant go in ultra... But I believe this one in ultra is for those guys playing in 4k. Other that that the game looks pretty nice.
Well, I am not an expert, I don't know to much about processors, given said that, what I am asking is if someone can't tell me if I can replace my processor with another one that supports the instruction set required for some new games.... I don't know if actually exist a processor of that time that supports the instruction set required for some new games..
Like doom eternal, assassin's creed origins, little nightmares, etc, etc...
I belive is something Like SSE 4.2 or so.
Any suggestions??

Or do I really need to go for a newer main board and processor??
Any suggestions guys????

By the way, sorry about my bad redaction, since I am mexican I am not pretty well about it.

With the correct BIOS update you could place an FX CPU... FX6300 (6 core/6 thread) or FX8300+ (8 core/8 thread).... on it but even that is a pretty weak upgrade in this day. For gaming your Phenom II is actually not that bad compared to FX. You'd have to overclock an FX CPU heavily (they are pretty good at that) to make much of a difference performance wise. While FX does support SSE 4.2 (and some other newer features) it's probably not the lack of support for later instruction sets that's hurting performance-wise. Phenom and FX both are just an old out-moded architecture with a low IPC that required heavy overclocking to provide competitive performance even for it's era. This pretty well makes it a bad idea to throw any money into this system for upgrades unless you have some special fondness for old computing hardware.

A meaningful upgrade will consist of new CPU, motherboard and memory at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonhmarston83
Solution