Question What is the best performance(speed, cas latency, etc) for a 5950x? -- (32GB sticks)

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I just recently acquired a 5950X processor and have an MSI X570 GODLIKE motherboard coming in the mail.
If you are wondering, I only went for this motherboard because it's the only X570 board that has the proper 4-slot spacing for 3090 NVLink.

Anyway, I need to get memory for the system. I'm looking for 64GB(2 x 32GB) --- would consider 4 x 32GB if it's a decent price
I've checked out various articles talking about how you want CL18, others saying CL16, etc... I just hate how each site/person is saying something different.

I just want to know what will for sure give this system the best performance possible?

Thank you

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I'm not so much concerned with 'balance' per se, moreso going for best performance possible. I'm not too concerned with price either. I do quite a bit of video/audio production and have lots of plug-ins/windows open. I know G.Skill released some 4000MHz memory not that long ago geared towards the Ryzen 5000 series processors. The specifications on the motherboard also say it can handle up to 5000Mhz(although I'm not seeing much memory available at that speed).

D

Deleted member 2871437

Just becasue the specifications on the motherboard say it can handle up to 5000Mhz doesn't mean you'll get better performance over about 4000 MHz. If money isn't something you're worried about, consensus seems to be that with the right kit you can can better performance up to about that point (https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-and-5950x-review,31.html):

DDR4 Memory

Short answer, with up to 4000 MHz DDR4 memory, you're good/optimal to go. Memory compatibility should not and likely will not be an issue as long as you stick to recently released DIMMs. I'll keep reiterating this, but there are some good Ryzen optimized kits out there. With ZEN3, you can go higher in DDR4 clock frequency if you want to. We stick to our advice that you are good to go with up to 3600 MHz and CL14 or CL16 or lower. If you want to go a notch higher, up to 4000 MHz is what you could do best. After that frequency, a 2:1 divider kicks on the interconnect that will affect the Infinity Fabric bandwidth; even then, the perf differential would be modest but optimal up-to 4000 MHz, the best bang for buck = 3600 MHz. Oh, and yes, lower latency memory is always better, e.g., CL14, but more expensive.