Question What is the best RAM?

iffymagician629

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
What 16GB or 32GB of DDR4 RAM should I get? It would be paired with and i9 Intel and a 2080 Ti. I was thinking of something that was very fast, that was under or around $250, but I want a 2nd opinion.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
What DMAN999 said more or less, however, it's not absolutely necessary to use the fastest RAM there is, and it entirely depends on what you're using the system for the most.

If all you really do is just gaming and then standard usage then the RAM doesn't need to be that fast at all.

But if doing anything intensive with all the extra cores/threads that also relies heavily on RAM, then obviously faster speeds is better overall.

Furthermore, how much RAM you need will determine what you buy.

Again, if just gaming then 16GB.

If doing anything else that relies heavily on RAM, then 32GB.

After you've decided how much RAM you need, consult the memory QVL (also called a memory compatibility list) for what's available that could be considered "the best"

If 16GB, then you can look at RAM in the QVL that goes to speeds of up to 3800Mhz potentially.

But if buying 32GB, then you shouldn't bother looking at anything above 3200Mhz.

However, this is assuming your board supports anything above 3200Mhz.

If it doesn't, and even somehow only supports max speeds that are lower than 3200Mhz, then look at anything in the max speeds section.

Personally, after determining the speed and amount of RAM you want, look at any of the G.Skill options in the QVL.
Chances are it's going to be Trident Z RAM.

Alternatively, if you look into the Corsair stuff, make sure that it comes back as something like Vengeance or Dominator RAM (which it will most likely be if it's more top tier on a QVL)

And see if what you look into is within your price range.

If what you look into is not in your price range, then look at the next speed down on the list until you find what IS in your price range.

Also also, I could help expedite your search by offering you my recommendation, but this requires you to tell me the exact model of your motherboard, and what country you are in.

Reactions: DMAN999