esentisx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
Hello everyone ,

I was thinking to upgrade my gpu (if i can find anything with reasonable price) .
Right now i using gtx 1060 6gb super jetstream .
I have an i5-10600k on a strix z490g mobo with cpu cooler arctic freezer 34 .
For ram i have 16gb RipjawsV 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 C14 and for storage i have ssd evo 860 1Tb .
Right now i have a 550watt psu but i will upgrade it to a 650watt gold .
Price aside , should i search for an rtx 3060 Ti or go for rtx 3070 ? (i will search for oc ones) .With my i5 i can go synch all cores at 4.8Ghz or i can achieve 19% over clock (via asus ai in bios).

Thanks.
P.S. I use my pc for regular gaming , for movies (x265) and internet surfing .

Solution
Whatever you can get ahold of essentially. Get the PSU after you get the GPU as well, wouldn't want to manage to get a 3080 at retail price and then have upgrade the PSU again.

You can always upgrade the processor to an i7-11700k as well if you need more CPU power later on, so don't worry too much about getting a GPU 'too fast' for the system. Computers always have bottlenecks but you can work around them. If you get a lot of GPU, you can always crank the settings without losing FPS on a CPU bound title.

Lutfij

Titan
550W and 650W are advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of your PSU? As for your GPU question, anything starting from an RTX3060 and above will do you nicely for your current specs(that you've shared with us thus far). If you go for the RTX3070, make sure you look at anything 650W or above, but from a reliably built unit/brand. If you want to stick with an RT3060Ti, then you should be fine with a 650W reliably built unit.

With wattage alone, you're current PSU is not a good idea to have anything from the RTX3000 series.

If I were to tinker with the build without taking into account the GPU, I'd have gone with a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz ram kit and an NVMe SSD to get some uplift in performance.

Reactions: esentisx and RodroX

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Whatever you can get ahold of essentially. Get the PSU after you get the GPU as well, wouldn't want to manage to get a 3080 at retail price and then have upgrade the PSU again.

You can always upgrade the processor to an i7-11700k as well if you need more CPU power later on, so don't worry too much about getting a GPU 'too fast' for the system. Computers always have bottlenecks but you can work around them. If you get a lot of GPU, you can always crank the settings without losing FPS on a CPU bound title.

Reactions: esentisx and RodroX
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I really didn't want a 3080Ti, but still glad I got it as the last time I saw the same model priced, it was $80 more and other models were as much as $400 more at non-scalped prices.

I figure if I keep it for at least three years it will have only been a small blip on my PC budget, but it will probably last me longer than that.

Reactions: esentisx

esentisx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014

Thanks for the help and the tip . First the gpu !

esentisx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
550W and 650W are advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of your PSU? As for your GPU question, anything starting from an RTX3060 and above will do you nicely for your current specs(that you've shared with us thus far). If you go for the RTX3070, make sure you look at anything 650W or above, but from a reliably built unit/brand. If you want to stick with an RT3060Ti, then you should be fine with a 650W reliably built unit.

With wattage alone, you're current PSU is not a good idea to have anything from the RTX3000 series.

If I were to tinker with the build without taking into account the GPU, I'd have gone with a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz ram kit and an NVMe SSD to get some uplift in performance.
My current psu is the corsair vs550 white and i will be moving to a full modular or semi modular (crsair , bequiet or coolermaster). As for wattage i will go for 650watt or above (gold maybe platinum??). As Eximo advised me i will see what deal and card i find first and i will go from there.
I do not know if i will upgrade my ram right now but i was thinking about an NVMe SSD . If i upgrade to a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz from 3200MHz i gain noticeable % in performance ?