[SOLVED] What is the best RTX 3080 that does not crash?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I have an RTX 3080 Aorus Master. This thing crashes whenever I play for an hour or two in specific games. Is it true that the thermal pads on this thing are very bad? Also, I am aware that the capacitor issue was a thing 10-7 months ago, but would this GPU still have these capacitor issues? What is the best RTX 3080 brand that does not crash so damn much?

Solution
They all do - correction - they all have the potential to crash, because RTX 30 series is lousy with power efficiency compared to the past couple generations and has required users to step it up a bit on their psu choices.

Assuming Apex is the hardest running title - even at low settings, the psu is probably the culprit.
Oh hey, well lookee here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/
Tier B
EVGA | Supernova B3 pre 2019 y. / B5 / GA [1]
[1]
Units experiencing tripping issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega, 6900 XT and nVidia RTX3080 / 3080 Ti / 3090.

The odds that the psu is a problem went up.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an RTX 3080 Aorus Master. This thing crashes whenever I play for an hour or two in specific games. Is it true that the thermal pads on this thing are very bad? Also, I am aware that the capacitor issue was a thing 10-7 months ago, but would this GPU still have these capacitor issues? What is the best RTX 3080 brand that does not crash so damn much?
Why is it "crashing"?

Please list ALL the parts of this system, and how you are using it.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
I have an MSI B550 A PRO motherboard, Ryzen 9 5900x, Noctua NH D15 Cooler, Crucial 16 GB Ram 3600MHZ, Samsung NVMe 960 1 TB drive, and I have a EVGA 850W Gold Standard(Idk exactly what the gold thing is called). The game I was playing was APEX legends on low settings. Only Apex Legends causes me to crash.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of capacitors the Master version of the Aorus 3080 has? What brand is known to have almost no crashing?

USAFRet

Titan
I have an MSI B550 A PRO motherboard, Ryzen 9 5900x, Noctua NH D15 Cooler, Crucial 16 GB Ram 3600MHZ, Samsung NVMe 960 1 TB drive. The game I was playing was APEX legends on low settings. Only Apex Legends causes me to crash.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of capacitors the Master version of the Aorus 3080 has? What brand is known to have almost no crashing?
If it is ONLY that game, it is either the game or your install.

What specific PSU is involved here?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
If it is ONLY that game, it is either the game or your install.

What specific PSU is involved here?
I am looking at the receipt and the box. It says "EVGA 850GA 80+G FM ATX PSU" it is fully modular. Apex is the only game that I know of that crashes. I am going to test playing an hour or so on Modern Warfare since MW and Apex the only games I have that are harder to run.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They all do - correction - they all have the potential to crash, because RTX 30 series is lousy with power efficiency compared to the past couple generations and has required users to step it up a bit on their psu choices.

Assuming Apex is the hardest running title - even at low settings, the psu is probably the culprit.
Oh hey, well lookee here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/
Tier B
[1]
Units experiencing tripping issues with high transient power draw GPUs like AMD Vega, 6900 XT and nVidia RTX3080 / 3080 Ti / 3090.

Solution

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018

Tier B
[1]

Ah, well that really sucks. Do you have a recommendation for a better PSU then? I would still like to know what kind of capacitors this card has. It is the 3.0 revision

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Corsair RMX, AX
Enermax Revolution D.F.
Seasonic GX, Ultra
Kinda depends on what's available to you too.
Welp, Valorant just crashed today. When I crash, I can't restart my PC. If I try to restart my PC, the screen stays black. The only way I can fix this is if I unplug the PSU cables from the 24 pin connector of the GPU and then re plug them back in. Then it boots normally.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looking around, and found something: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/750w-psu-cant-handle-rtx-3080.3649091/page-3?view=date
Post #60:
pharycyde44 said: It just restarts my computer when it reaches a certain clock speed. I have a 750 rmx and a 9700K. The EVGA tech support guy said it coulddd be the PSU.

Juular said: It's not. Due to nature of PSU incompatibility with RTX3080 - tripping of over-current protection on RTX3080's very high transient power spikes, if that occurs - PC wouldn't just restart, it would shutdown and wouldn't not start again unless you cycle the power switch on PSU. If it just restarts then it's likely not a PSU.

Looks like it is the psu.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Looking around, and found something: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/750w-psu-cant-handle-rtx-3080.3649091/page-3?view=date
Post #60:
pharycyde44 said: It just restarts my computer when it reaches a certain clock speed. I have a 750 rmx and a 9700K. The EVGA tech support guy said it coulddd be the PSU.

Juular said: It's not. Due to nature of PSU incompatibility with RTX3080 - tripping of over-current protection on RTX3080's very high transient power spikes, if that occurs - PC wouldn't just restart, it would shutdown and wouldn't not start again unless you cycle the power switch on PSU. If it just restarts then it's likely not a PSU.

Looks like it is the psu.
@Phaaze88 Thank you so much for the input. All these articles that you have been finding have been quite helpful. I appreciate greatly. I just have a question about this article. Is it saying that since a simple restart is not fixing my crash, and that I have to unplug the 24 pin connector in order to reboot the PC, that is why it is a PSU issue?(Also, the 24 pin connector is the connector for the GPU, not the motherboard. The GPU requires 3, 8 pin connections)