What is the best screen for a triple monitor set up?

Thenid307

Honorable
May 20, 2013
I'm planning on building my second rig in the summer and I want it to have three 2560 by 1440 screens, with IPS panel preferably. What screens do you guys recommend, and yeah I'll be using it for primarily gaming and will be running it with either a titan Z or X.

zarugal

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
Wouldn't bother with a Titan Z for gaming. A GTX 980 SLi beats it and is cheaper. There have been no real-world performance specs released for the Titan x, so I wouldn't plan on putting that in your build either.
As for your screens, 3x 1440p monitors is going to be extremely difficult to run if you want ultra/high graphics settings. You'll have a higher pixel count than a 4K monitor, and even GTX 980 SLi rigs struggle to get decent framerates on 4K monitors at higher graphics settings - let alone a higher resolution.

In summary, you're better off dropping down to 3x 1080p monitors, and planning on putting a GTX 980 SLi in whilst waiting to see what the Titan X is really like.

The Titan X is more likely to be like the original Titan black, which was a consumer/gamer level card but with all the professional features left unlocked (double-precision floating-point etc.). There will probably be a GTX980Ti which is more powerful than the Titan X on the way, and cheaper due to it's lack of professional features.

Thenid307

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Those monitors have pretty low refresh rate and poor response time and their 23". I'm pretty sure titan Z can run triple monitors 2k decently and titan X will almost definetly be able to, I'm not much of a FPS gamer although I do play FPS. I'm wondering what are the best 27" screens with slim bezels, other than the ROG swift cause of the narrow viewing angles

zarugal

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
They're 60Hz. You won't get frame rates much higher that 60 on a triple setup, so it's not worth spending more. You also NEED the viewing angles of IPS, so you're pretty much stuck with 60Hz.

Response time's effect is a myth. 8ms would be more than enough for frame rates of 120hz and under. Most of the industry tests are different between manufacturers, so one 2ms monitor could measure as a 5ms by another company's standard anyway.
The human eye can't tell a difference of 6ms. If you were to sit someone down and show them a 2ms, 5ms, and 8ms monitor at 60Hz, the chances of them identifying the monitors correctly would rely solely on luck.
Response time is an almost meaningless figure to look at when buying monitors, so long as it's no higher than 16ms for a 60hz monitor, there will be no detectable difference.

A Titan Z will run a triple setup, just not as well as SLi GTX 980s, and it will cost more. The Titan X is a single GPU card, so unless it is an absolutely extreme piece of technology, it won't run a triple setup on it's own - you'll need two.

27" is too big for a triple display. The edge monitors leave your peripheral vision, and you have to bend the outer screens to such an angle that you get massive distortion. 24" is the biggest you can go.