Question What is the best setup of GPU (&etc) for a Supermicro X9QRI-F+ MoBo?

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
I am planning on setting up a Supermicro X9QRI-F+ mother board I am getting from a friend.
A7U1_1_202001051485044866.jpg

I want a path to cost efficient, perhaps in stages, maxed out CPUs, RAM, & GPUs and then two 16 TB HDDs and a 1tb ssd with the end goal of having a server to host VMs to do my IT College work and projects on, host game servers and sometimes act as a central pc for thin clients or terminals to do the brunt of the work for my tech illiterate family so I set it up in my room and they use each like 2-4 cores and 8gb of ram for their VM each (2-3 max at a time) and be a NAS too. Main thing is being able to run VMs and include maxed out CPUs and GPUs.

What do you all recommend? I don't know what it supports in the line of GPUs but I want to max that out and the PSU setup from the start and have 4 of the E5-4650V2 CPUs and will start with 4 (1 per peocessor) sticks of the best RAM it supports and need to know which those are. I am planning on setting it up as a rack mount personal tech room at home.

TL;DR: setting up a Supermicro X9QRI-F+ with fourE5-4650V2 CPUs. I need advice on what is the best ram dimm sticks, GPUs, PSU(s), and other profits for good multipurpose server for hosting mainly VMs. Any advice, at all, is vastly appreciated.

Note, my target budget for GPUs, RAM, and PSU(s) and case that can be used for a rackmoubt setup is, in total other than CPUs and motherboard is roughly $750-$1250.

Thanks,
BiggWigg92

kanewolf

Titan
I am planning on setting up a Supermicro X9QRI-F+ mother board I am getting from a friend.
A7U1_1_202001051485044866.jpg

I want a path to cost efficient, perhaps in stages, maxed out CPUs, RAM, & GPUs and then two 16 TB HDDs and a 1tb ssd with the end goal of having a server to host VMs to do my IT College work and projects on, host game servers and sometimes act as a central pc for thin clients or terminals to do the brunt of the work for my tech illiterate family so I set it up in my room and they use each like 2-4 cores and 8gb of ram for their VM each (2-3 max at a time) and be a NAS too. Main thing is being able to run VMs and include maxed out CPUs and GPUs.

What do you all recommend? I don't know what it supports in the line of GPUs but I want to max that out and the PSU setup from the start and have 4 of the E5-4650V2 CPUs and will start with 4 (1 per peocessor) sticks of the best RAM it supports and need to know which those are. I am planning on setting it up as a rack mount personal tech room at home.

TL;DR: setting up a Supermicro X9QRI-F+ with fourE5-4650V2 CPUs. I need advice on what is the best ram dimm sticks, GPUs, PSU(s), and other profits for good multipurpose server for hosting mainly VMs. Any advice, at all, is vastly appreciated.

Note, my target budget for GPUs, RAM, and PSU(s) and case that can be used for a rackmoubt setup is, in total other than CPUs and motherboard is roughly $750-$1250.

Thanks,
BiggWigg92
I don't think quad socket motherboards are useful for home. Just too much hassle. But, that is just me.
You want multiples of 4 DIMMs/ socket on that motherboard. "Starting out" with 1 DIMM per socket cuts your bandwidth by 4. If you have 4 DIMMs you would be better off only installing one CPU. One DIMM / CPU is also completely contrary to your "hosting VMs" purpose. VMs are RAM limited not CPU limited. With 80 threads available, you would probably want 256GB (16x16GB) or more.
Power supplies are going to be a problem. That motherboard wants 4 EPS12V (one per CPU socket). I don't know what power supply has that.

What OS are you planning on using ?

You might want to rethink this, windows 10 does not support more then 2 CPU sockets. To move past 2 CPU sockets you will need a server license and those dont come cheap. just looking at server 2019 standard it covers 16 cores, you will have 40 cores so you will need 3 licenses, so roughly $3000 for the OS. You will then get 1 VM licensed under each key, all other VM's will have to have a license key.

If you move to datacenter you get unlimited Vm's under the license but will cost you $6155 per license and once again you will need 3 of them to cover all the CPU cores.

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
I was planning on running the server with some form of Linux but haven't decided which. Please forgive my ignorance and some of that I can actually disagree with. My most important thing to focus on is never buying a part more than once instead of in jumps. For example I can buy 4 of the 32gb dimms and install that and buy more every month til I max put which is more cost-effective than buying 16×16gb and then eventually having dimms I don't need but can't rapidly get my original money for if at all and that is why I want to first start with the best cpus and 1 each per CPU socket of the best dimms it supports. I am considering g using other OS's but don't know what is what and sadly am just now learning Linux in college and while I can do most stuff fine with most any Linux OS I setup that I want to do, most of which I already know how to do from school, I know windows server 2012 best. Also, quad socket motherboard systems are not designed for gaming or web browsing and the such like most do at home where you're better with high clock speeds by the way and where more cores isn't much benefit after the first 4-8, generally speaking, so yeah... but im using it as a NAS for sharing data and media, a VM Server for 2-3 separate users at a time each with 2-4 cores, and a server for games privately between my brother, my classmates, my professor, and myself on special occasions, so it is needing high core count and since I can't afford a thread ripper this is the best way all that can happen (which ensures its paid for) and so that I can have multiples VMs running in the background for school assignments and projects that I loginto like vmware let's you do, which is something I know little of but will soon learn more, but I think this is one of my best options for my needs.

Id imagine that having that all happen is possible