[SOLVED] What is the best size for this PC?

stiffmeinster

Reputable
May 30, 2016
I'm trying to find a good size, then look for a good case.

I need : 2-3 2,5'' slot.
2-3 3,5'' slot.
0 5,25'' slot!
I have a PSU: FSP Raider 550W , this must fit in the case.
Need 2 Ram slot on the motherboard, 2x8 GB.

I will use X470 Board with Ryzen 5 2600X, with an AMD GPU ( not sure yet which).

How does the cooling work in mini-ITX cases?

mini-ITX, micro-ATX or ATX is the best choice for me?

Need a size with good cooling, I don't want to build a hot PC.

Solution
You want an ATX case. The first thing you should be worried about though is getting rid of that FSP Raider. That is a well known, notoriously bad unit. Very poor quality and one of the worst examples of any platform FSP has ever made.

What is the budget for your case and what country are you in?
You want an ATX case. The first thing you should be worried about though is getting rid of that FSP Raider. That is a well known, notoriously bad unit. Very poor quality and one of the worst examples of any platform FSP has ever made.

Solution

stiffmeinster

Reputable
May 30, 2016

At the start I'll use my PSU, of course later I'll buy another.
I never had problems with it, it's not cheap it was 70-80 dollar when I bought it 4 years ago. I use laptops for 3 years so it's like a new.
When I bought all forum sites said FSP is a good brand and suggested that PSU.

Why do you suggest ATX, because the temperatures are better in that size?

Under 140 dollar.

I'm from Hungary.

Last edited:
At the start I'll use my PSU, of course later I'll buy another.
I never had problems with it, it's not cheap it was 70-80 dollar when I bought it 4 years ago. I use laptops for 3 years so it's like a new.
When I bought all forum sites said FSP is a good brand and suggested that PSU.

Why do you suggest ATX, because the temperatures are better in that size?

Under 140 dollar.

I'm from Hungary.

The number of drives you want to fit in the case rules out any small cases.
You said "I need : 2-3 2,5'' slot. 2-3 3,5'' slot. " can you find a small case with that?

At the start using a bad PSU that can damage your components is not a good idea. It only takes half a second for a power supply to kill a motherboard or video card or both. The one you have is not bad, but it's no better than average.

stiffmeinster

Reputable
May 30, 2016
The number of drives you want to fit in the case rules out any small cases.
You said "I need : 2-3 2,5'' slot. 2-3 3,5'' slot. " can you find a small case with that?

At the start using a bad PSU that can damage your components is not a good idea. It only takes half a second for a power supply to kill a motherboard or video card or both. The one you have is not bad, but it's no better than average.

And what if I say 1 2,5" slot for an SSD and 2 3,5" for HDD?

The one you have is not bad, but it's no better than average.

So, myself, I can't agree with that. HardOCP found the 750w FSP Raider to be a complete "trainwreck". Reviews of other capacities of that unit, AND the Raider II units, were in general not promising either. Although many don't put much faith in the listings on the old Dottorent PSU Tier list, that unit was a tier 4 unit there as well. I've also seen a GREAT many of those units have problems both in my shop and on here over the years. I do not believe it even manages to achieve "mediocre" status.

The fact that all capacities of that unit used the same platform SFAIK as the Aurum units doesn't seem to help it much, since the implementation is clearly not the same. Plus, more importantly, it's likely at least 7 years old since it looks like those Raider units were last manufactured in 2012, so it's not a great platform to start with (At best) AND it's old on top of it. That makes it dangerous or at least really questionable in my opinion.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/03/fsp_raider_750w_power_supply_review/9

As far as the cases go, Hang the 9 has already indicated WHY an ATX case would be a requirement, but I have no clue on hardware availability or other factors in your country. Unlike many other countries, I'm not familiar with any of the hardware vendors or websites there.

And what if I say 1 2,5" slot for an SSD and 2 3,5" for HDD?

Well then of course you can find smaller cases, but your main priority was cooling and drives from the first post. If you don't really care about size, go with a mid-tower case.

I like Phanteks https://www.newegg.com/Phanteks-Company-Computer-Cases/BrandSubCat/ID-60115-7 but there are several good overall brands, Cooler Master, NZXT, others.

Find one you like and check the specs for drive setups it can do. Remember that modern motherboards have an M.2 slot on pretty much all of them, or a few, so you don't really need a drive slot for a boot drive.

The majority of mid tower ATX cases will have plenty of 2.5" drive locations because most of them now have those on the backside of the motherboard tray. Even those designed mainly for liquid cooling that lack an upper internal drive bay usually have support for 3.5" drives in a drive bay mounted to the floor of the case.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M might be a good choice. It's not terribly large, has great cooling and has plenty of drive mounting locations. It's also a good quality unit, as are pretty much all Phanteks cases. Personally I pretty much try to stick to Phanteks, Corsair, Fractal design and NZXT for most case choices but those are probably brands that might not be widely available in your region. Knowing where you can purchase from including any regionally accessible online retailers near you would be helpful in pointing you at least in the right direction.

stiffmeinster

Reputable
May 30, 2016
The majority of mid tower ATX cases will have plenty of 2.5" drive locations because most of them now have those on the backside of the motherboard tray. Even those designed mainly for liquid cooling that lack an upper internal drive bay usually have support for 3.5" drives in a drive bay mounted to the floor of the case.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M might be a good choice. It's not terribly large, has great cooling and has plenty of drive mounting locations. It's also a good quality unit, as are pretty much all Phanteks cases. Personally I pretty much try to stick to Phanteks, Corsair, Fractal design and NZXT for most case choices but those are probably brands that might not be widely available in your region. Knowing where you can purchase from including any regionally accessible online retailers near you would be helpful in pointing you at least in the right direction.

Ok, I'll look for a mid tower case.

I need a clean case like Corsair Carbide 275Q.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwy254JN_Y

He says: You can find better cases in that price range, and the build quality is bad in 275Q.
What do you think about this case?

Last edited:
I've never built with that case, so I can't say anything about it FOR SURE, however, in general, most Corsair cases have at LEAST decent quality and most of them are pretty good quality. That case however does seem to have quite a few negative reviews, including the one done here at Tom's hardware.

Even so, most of those were concerned with cooling based on only the fans that come with the case, not based on actual performance after equipping it with a reasonable number of cooling fans, which for MY purposes generally means two intake and two exhaust, unless you are using a 240 or 280mm AIO cooler and then it would be based on a front mounted cooler that DOES have two fans in an intake configuration and then two additional fans for exhaust. Just about any halfway decent case will work well enough if you have that.

I might be inclined to look at other models though, considering the comparative price of that model, unless your options are severely limited in which case that MIGHT be one of the better options. I'd need to know what is actually reasonably available to you to know that.