[SOLVED] What is the best socket s1 cpu for around $15?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Basically what the title is, my budget isn’t really high because this is for an old laptop that I won’t use much, so there’s no point spending $50 on a laptop that I won’t use for like gaming etc. but I will exceed to $20 if I have to, but if anyone could find a cpu that would be compatible with socket s1 and ddr2-667 ram that would be great.

laptop specs -
Toshiba satellite l500d
Cpu - AMD sempron si-42
GPU - AMD ati Radeon 3100
ram - 2gb ddr2-667
320gb hard drive 2””

Solution
Your socket is S1G2 and although its long time ago i used to upgrade few of this socket cpu:s and there was no problem with the bios, all of these should work http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket S1 _S1g2__K8.html

Only issue was thermal problems (25w => 35w tdp) but you should be fine with quality thermal paste like, i personally always use thermal grizzly kryonaut, you can save the leftovers its really good paste, clean old one with 90%+ isoprophlyl alcohol until its shiny and then apply new paste.

Athlon supports ddr2-667 and turion processors (and your chipset) supports up to ddr2-800 so if you think about upgrading ram buy used ddr2-800 2x2gb set. For cpu i would go for turion zm series, even those are cheap as...
Your socket is S1G2 and although its long time ago i used to upgrade few of this socket cpu:s and there was no problem with the bios, all of these should work http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket S1 _S1g2__K8.html

Only issue was thermal problems (25w => 35w tdp) but you should be fine with quality thermal paste like, i personally always use thermal grizzly kryonaut, you can save the leftovers its really good paste, clean old one with 90%+ isoprophlyl alcohol until its shiny and then apply new paste.

Athlon supports ddr2-667 and turion processors (and your chipset) supports up to ddr2-800 so if you think about upgrading ram buy used ddr2-800 2x2gb set. For cpu i would go for turion zm series, even those are cheap as dirt, like 10 euro new with shipping fees included.

Solution

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020

Athlon supports ddr2-667 and turion processors (and your chipset) supports up to ddr2-800 so if you think about upgrading ram buy used ddr2-800 2x2gb set. For cpu i would go for turion zm series, even those are cheap as dirt, like 10 euro new with shipping fees included.
Thanks so much :)

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/74073835?...kkH0OG6aI1hnsCXlzTQHk68sTRk3P9_BoC2fsQAvD_BwE
Would this be a good cpu? Do you think it’s real?

Any cpu from zm86 to zm-88 is a "decent" choice if you can get it around 10 euro shipped, used or new. Atleast model number matches on that link you posted but cant confirm anything else.

These things usually have problems even running youtube and netflix at 720p / 1080p, thats pretty much only thing dual core zm processor fixes on these laptops , atleast you can watch youtube and movies :)

I wont see much difference in price with zm 84 and zm 87 i would go for zm-87 or zm88 since thats what i used in laptops and those run movies decently

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Any cpu from zm86 to zm-88 is a "decent" choice if you can get it around 10 euro shipped, used or new. Atleast model number matches on that link you posted but cant confirm anything else.

These things usually have problems even running youtube and netflix at 720p / 1080p, thats pretty much only thing dual core zm processor fixes on these laptops , atleast you can watch youtube and movies :)

I wont see much difference in price with zm 84 and zm 87 i would go for zm-87 or zm88 since thats what i used in laptops and those run movies decently
Could you give me a link to one? Because all of the ones I find are $15 and $45 Dollars shipping. Which is like 60 dollars

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Beware there might be scams in aliexpress but looking at the comments this is atleast legit, i found zm87 from 10-12$ free shipping too but those had less reviews
Also, I planning on upgrading my ram from 2 to 4gb or putting an ssd in.
What do you think would be the best option?
Ram = ddr2 667
Ssd = sata2
Any help would be great

Your chipset and new processor (whatever zm series you pick) supports ddr2- 800 memory , there is no price difference so better to pick the faster ram) anything up to 2x4gb is supported but i think your fine with 4gb total

Do you have 1x2gb or 2x1gb sticks currently in there?

Download HWINFO, navigate in the device tree to Bus > PCI Bus #0. Under PCI Bus #0, click on the SATA AHCI Controller device. Details about this device will be displayed in the right pane. Scroll through this pane and you will find a heading "SATA Host Controller" with the Interface Speed Supported as follows:

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Download HWINFO, navigate in the device tree to Bus > PCI Bus #0. Under PCI Bus #0, click on the SATA AHCI Controller device. Details about this device will be displayed in the right pane. Scroll through this pane and you will find a heading "SATA Host Controller" with the Interface Speed Supported as follows:
It says gen 2gb

Your laptop supports sata2 speeds (it will work fine just max is sata2 speeds still way faster than any mechanical drive), if you do get SSD just pick something like new samsung evo 860 "sata3" 2.5inch, never buy ssd used. Dont buy ssd just for THIS laptop, its way too expensive for that, good thing is you can use it in future desktop or laptop, these things last long and make any system fast.

With ram it doesnt really matter, used or new, dont pay more than 5 dollars including shipping for 2gb stick, get a 667mhz ddr2 sodimm 2gb stick if your current one is 667mhz. Get 800mhz if its that to pair with right speed.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Your laptop supports sata2 speeds (it will work fine just max is sata2 speeds still way faster than any mechanical drive), if you do get SSD just pick something like new samsung evo 860 "sata3" 2.5inch, never buy ssd used. Dont buy ssd just for THIS laptop, its way too expensive for that, good thing is you can use it in future desktop or laptop, these things last long and make any system fast.

With ram it doesnt really matter, used or new, dont pay more than 5 dollars including shipping for 2gb stick, get a 667mhz ddr2 sodimm 2gb stick if your current one is 667mhz. Get 800mhz if its that to pair with right speed.
I have found ram, but for 64gb ssd it costs 21 dollars from Aliexpress, do you know where I can find one cheap, I only need a 64gb ssd because all of my games are on the portable t5 ssd.
Btw thanks so much

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Wait i will open my old toshiba l350d laptop i upgraded the cpu on that but forgot what dual core it was to confirm, it has exactly same chipset. Just wondering if getting 800mhz ram is worth it or is downclocked even when cpu supports 800
I think it should work if the cpu supports it and if your using 2 sticks of ram they both have to be 800mhz

Is your ram stick 800 or 667mhz? Theres no point wasting money for so marginal performance cause this laptop is not used for gaming. If it is 800mhz then go ahead , but if its 667mhz just buy 1x2gb.

When you buy CPU and RAM from aliexpress or similar sites check that there is many legit looking reviews with pics about the product arrived and working in theyre system.

About SSD i would not buy just some crappy one , that is the only thing i would invest in. I have used my samsung 850 evo 120gb in 3 systems now, 2 laptops and a desktop and its working very well, im getting nice speeds on any system, its not waste of money even if you use it 5-8 years later. It will work in any laptop or desktop you ever buy after this.