Question What is the best solution to reduce a large bottleneck

Jun 27, 2018
After troubleshooting some framerate and stutter issues that my system shouldnt be having. it was brought to my attention that my system possibly has a severe bottleneck between cpu and gpu.
Cpu- i-9 7940x
Gpu- msi gtx 1080ti
Mb-asrock killer sli
Ram- 32 gb 2x16gb
Storage- 1 tb m.2 nvme
After running the components through a bottleneck calculator its showing a 45% bottleneck. So my question is would that be causing the issues? (I would think its good for the gpu to be pushed hard, but Im also kinda stupid when it comes to these things.) If so, would it be better to try sli with 2 x 1080 ti gpu, or would it be better swap cpu and motherboard out? Maybe to i9-9900k or i7- 8700k Or or am I just overthinking the issue?

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Or or am I just overthinking the issue?
This. Bottleneck calculators shouldn't be treated like gospel. In your system, the calculator is telling you that your graphics card is a bottleneck, which in some ways it is, but most ways it isn't. A bottleneck is only really a problem if it causes problems like low fps or less-than-satisfactory processing speed, so if you aren't noticing anything like that, there's no point in upgrading. And there's almost never a point in downgrading a component because it's bottlenecked, unless wattage is an issue. TL;DR: you don't have to change anything, but your system is capable of supporting a more powerful GPU.

You have placed emphasis on core and thread count, presumably for some sort of rendering/editing workstation processing loads, but, it's not as is the 7940X will be 'slow' in gaming. (Of course, it will likely trail other CPUs at 1080P, naturally with 'only' a 4.3 GHz max single or dual core turbo, so, don't expect it to be matching the 9700K or above)

Bottleneck calculator websites are about useless, placing some arbitrary goal on CPU usage numbers, where for games in your scenario, obviously your CPU usage would be pretty low for each thread...; this would be quite natural for the rarer circumstances of someone gaming with 14 cores.

After troubleshooting some framerate and stutter issues that my system shouldnt be having. it was brought to my attention that my system possibly has a severe bottleneck between cpu and gpu.
Your framerate and stutter issues do not come from any kind of bottleneck,it could be an option if the CPU is 100% and the GPU is not,in that case badly coded games stutter like crazy,you have it the other way around your CPU is too strong.

My guess is that no game produces enough of a load for your CPU to make it even boost up to it's max clocks...
Use task manager and pin your game to 4c/8t using affinity,that should take care of most of the stutter,if not the check if it still doesn't boost to max clocks.