[SOLVED] What is the best SSD for longevity?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 31, 2019
Hello everybody! I am looking to replace an old 5400 RPM mechanical drive (in an old laptop) with an SSD. As long as the speed of the SSD isn't unbearable, I'll be happy.

What matters the most to me though is the longevity of the SSD. I generally need it to last for five years. I've looked everywhere, but I can't seem to find any information about the best SSD out there in terms of longevity. Please offer your advice! Thank you.

Solution
What is the make/model of your laptop?
Without that, nobody can tell you if it is suitable for ssd replacement.

Most likely it is since 2,5" sata drives have been available in laptops for a long time.

Do a google search on your laptop name and ssd replacement.
You should be able to see a video on how to take the laptop apart and replace the drive.

Newegg is perhaps my go to source for parts.
They market for other sellers who may not be as prompt in shipping or have as good customer service.
I prefer to source from newegg directly.
Here is the link to a 250GB samsung 860 evo for $60
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-...820147676?Item=N82E16820147676&quicklink=true

The 500gb version is $80...
That is a question that rightfully deserves a post of it's own.
Do the same thing you wold have done if it was a HDD.

Back up what you hold dear to an EXTERNAL device.
Do so on a frequency such that you are not harmed if a loss should happen between backups.

USAFRet

Titan
How often should I backup the SSD?
How often?
My systems run a backup every single night.

Dec 31, 2019
That is a question that rightfully deserves a post of it's own.
Do the same thing you wold have done if it was a HDD.

Back up what you hold dear to an EXTERNAL device.
Do so on a frequency such that you are not harmed if a loss should happen between backups.
How often?
My systems run a backup every single night.

Again, I'm primarily using Google Drive, Google Docs, etc.

Generally, if everything important (like Google Docs) is automatically being saved to Google Drive, what warrants a backup? If backups are warranted, when should I do them?

Dec 31, 2019
Google Docs is a (hopefully) second copy of your data.
If that is the only copy, what would you do in the event of no outside connection?

A full drive backup lets easily you recover in case of a dead drive or nasty virus.
Due to the fact that nearly everything I do will be saved to the cloud (Google Drive), there won't really be anything on the SSD (except for Windows and maybe a few unimportant things).

There won't really be a time where the laptop isn't connected to the internet for a long period of time.

USAFRet

Titan
Due to the fact that nearly everything I do will be saved to the cloud (Google Drive), there won't really be anything on the SSD (except for Windows and maybe a few unimportant things).

There won't really be a time where the laptop isn't connected to the internet for a long period of time.
OK.
Different operating procedures.

I prefer my data local, you prefer the cloud.
No prob...;)

Dec 31, 2019
If you're using the cloud, it's a good idea to keep some offline copy just in case the network goes down. But I don't think the 3-2-1 rule applies...
Any data that exists in only one place may be said to not exist at all.
Take a look at these links.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-docs-offline/ghbmnnjooekpmoecnnnilnnbdlolhkhi
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6388102

Dec 31, 2019
Sure.
Either they exist only online, as is the typical google docs config.
Or, they are both offline (local) and also mirrored online.

We're just recommending to not have only a single copy of this data, no mater where it lives.
Oh, is there a possibility of my data magically disappearing in Google Drive?

Dec 31, 2019
Your data is held by some other company, that you have no control over.

It has happened before. Not specifically google, but other cloud hosting companies have either closed shop or changed their rules and pricing significantly.
Sometimes with little or no notice.
Or specifically with a google service, Picasa:
Google Drive seems to be doing well. I can't imagine Google discontinuing it in less than five years from now.

I'd like to assume that Picasa had become irrelevant and didn't fit in as storing photos in the cloud became popular.

Google Drive is well known and still fits in.