[SOLVED] What is the best storage hardware to install on my PC as a gamer?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I currently have a custom built desktop PC mostly used floor gaming. I am looking for a better option for storage. I would like something that will help increase the speed on everything from opening up software or games, running them and transferring data.

I currently have :
  • Asus tuff x299 mark 2 motherboard
  • Intel i9 7900x processor
  • 32gb of hyper x predator DDR4 4000mhz
  • Asus geforce gtx 1080 8gb ROG STRIX OC edition
  • Western Digital 1tb 7200rpm hard drive

I have been looking at like a 1tb m.2 ssd nvme. Maybe a Samsung evo 970 or maybe a optane. I really want what ever is the best top of the line to give me top performance. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you

Solution
Because I would like to install the best hardware I can buy for each category that is required in a custom build. It's not like i only have a set budget to upgrade and I'm choosing to put it towards my ram and storage. I'm going to every component in the PC and upgrading it to what ever I think is the best one out there.

I currently have a 1tb old school hard drive that goes 6gb/s and 16gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram. Upgrading those 2 items will indeed increase the performance. What would you suggest? Why is this a bad move?
I mean it's not a bad move but spending money on an overpriced NVME and RAM that won't benefit you much doesn't make sense to me, I mean yes SSD is good I am not saying not to upgrade but only Ryzen benefits from...

WildCard999

Titan
Reactions: AngelTech

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500 you really don't need a M.2 the only one I'd recommend right now is the Intel 660P, Why do you need so much RAM and RAM speed? just curious.
It's a hobby project so I want top of the line on everything so i have the best custom build i can get. I currently have 16gb of 3200mhz ram and im not satisfied with the performance. I want really fast storage hardware and fast ram speed. The last thing I'm going to change is the liquid cooler. I dont like the Corsair H110i v2 it runs really loud and doesn't control the temperature well when I try to overclock. I want a custom loop so I can cool everything with it processor, GPU and ram.

It's a hobby project so I want top of the line on everything so i have the best custom build i can get. I currently have 16gb of 3200mhz ram and im not satisfied with the performance. I want really fast storage hardware and fast ram speed. The last thing I'm going to change is the liquid cooler. I dont like the Corsair H110i v2 it runs really loud and doesn't control the temperature well when I try to overclock. I want a custom loop so I can cool everything with it processor, GPU and ram.
I mean RAM speed and storage speed won't be a HUGE performance increase why waste the money to get the best of everything if the gain is so small?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I mean RAM speed and storage speed won't be a HUGE performance increase why waste the money to get the best of everything if the gain is so small?
Because I would like to install the best hardware I can buy for each category that is required in a custom build. It's not like i only have a set budget to upgrade and I'm choosing to put it towards my ram and storage. I'm going to every component in the PC and upgrading it to what ever I think is the best one out there.

I currently have a 1tb old school hard drive that goes 6gb/s and 16gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram. Upgrading those 2 items will indeed increase the performance. What would you suggest? Why is this a bad move?

I mean it's not a bad move but spending money on an overpriced NVME and RAM that won't benefit you much doesn't make sense to me, I mean yes SSD is good I am not saying not to upgrade but only Ryzen benefits from RAM speed and we gave you another NVME that's much cheaper but performs just as well, the best of everything won't bring much of a performance lift besides GPU and maybe CPU depending on the game.

Solution