[SOLVED] What is the best type of cooling in general in a PC?

Dec 3, 2021
Hello, this is for some primary research for a project I am currently completing.

Just need a quick preference on what is the best cooling method in general in your opinion based on price, performance, efficiency and convenience.

Please specify which cooling is best for which kind of build:
-Gaming build
-High end build
-Simple low end build etc

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Last edited:
Solution
Cpus: air cooling.
Gpus: Liquid cooling.

Some folks are too quick to throw liquid cooling on their cpus. It is not as efficient as doing so with gpus, and more often than not, the gpu is the bigger heat producer anyway.
Also, the IHS gets in the way and reduces cooling efficiency.
It looks so backwards to me to see some users with AIOs or cpu only custom loops, and there's this big air cooled gpu below...
Liquid cooling gpu is so good, I don't think I'd ever go back to gpu air cooling again. As long as the cpu has an IHS on it, air will almost always be the more efficient option, IMO.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Some folks are too quick to throw liquid cooling on their cpus. It is not as efficient as doing so with gpus, and more often than not, the gpu is the bigger heat producer anyway.
It looks so backwards to me to see some users with AIOs or cpu only custom loops, and there's this big air cooled gpu below...
Liquid cooling gpu is so good, I don't think I'd ever go back to gpu air cooling again. As long as the cpu has an IHS on it, air will almost always be the more efficient option, IMO.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, this is for some primary research for a project I am currently completing.

Just need a quick preference on what is the best cooling method in general in your opinion based on price, performance, efficiency and convenience.

Please specify which cooling is best for which kind of build:
-Gaming build
-High end build
-Simple low end build etc

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
Follow the "keep it simple" principal and go with air cooling.

Reactions: Josh 0704
Dec 3, 2021
Missing Option #4 - Whatever works best.

Some air coolers are better than some liquid coolers.

And both air and liquid need fans of some sort. There are some fanless, but those are for special low power situations.

Thanks for the great reply, appreciate the help!