[SOLVED] What is the best upgrade GPU for an old computer.

May 1, 2020
I have an HP m8530f with 8GB ram running win10. Right now it has an Geforce 9500 GT card, and it runs pretty good for the most part. I'd like to use for gaming a bit more without putting too much into it. I'm wondering if it could use a MSI GeForce GT 730 DirectX 12 N730-4GD3V2 4GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 card. Or perhaps an even better selection. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

The rx560 would work quite well. I was thinking to recommending a 750Ti, but the rx560 is almost 2x as fast even though it cost 2x, but it is also new.

The only potential problem you could run into would be a uefi bios requirement, but I know most lower end cards will support legacy bios. Still, definitely do your research before you buy.

Reactions: Dj0gany

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
The other thing to consider about such an upgrade is the PSU. Can the current PSU support, in both power draw and power connections, the GPU card you want to install.

Cards such as the GTX 750ti/950ti which don't need direct PSU connections might be something to consider. Although you need to still check the power consumption.

Reactions: photrix
I think the RX 560 which i sent the link to does not need additional power from the psu,but you are right, he needs to check if hi psu is power enough for his gpu.Almost always the psus in the prebuilds are bad and hard to identify,so i would suggest to swap the psu to a better one.I think the CX450 will good for his build

May 1, 2020
I think the RX 560 which i sent the link to does not need additional power from the psu,but you are right, he needs to check if hi psu is power enough for his gpu.Almost always the psus in the prebuilds are bad and hard to identify,so i would suggest to swap the psu to a better one.I think the CX450 will good for his build
Thank you guys for all the replies, I'm leaning toward the RX560. I'd like to go to 4Gb and DX12. It might be a card that will be in the next computer. However the GT 730 (my first choice) has the same connector arrangement as I'm using now, but that could be changed as well. Using 2 Samsung 22in monitors (VGA) and a 42 in Vizio TV (HDMI). I have to tear down my setup and see if I can find out info on the PSU.

Thank you guys for all the replies, I'm leaning toward the RX560. I'd like to go to 4Gb and DX12. It might be a card that will be in the next computer. However the GT 730 (my first choice) has the same connector arrangement as I'm using now, but that could be changed as well. Using 2 Samsung 22in monitors (VGA) and a 42 in Vizio TV (HDMI). I have to tear down my setup and see if I can find out info on the PSU.
As long as the card you're getting is compatible with your current system, it will definitely have no problem moving to the next system. You might have to swap some connectors around to get the vga connector, but hdmi wouldn't be an issue.

In terms of power supply, yours comes with a 350w power supply stock and judging by the nature of the system and target market back then, it should be a strong one and shouldn't have any issues with the rx560 or 750ti. If it's standard size, you can even replace it and that will open up your options for gpus too as you can handle more powerful ones like the 1660 or 1060. You could even get something like an rtx2060 even though it will be limited by your cpu.

May 1, 2020
Just to thank you guys again for all your advise, and to let you know that I purchased the rx560 and what a difference it has made. So far I'm running it with the stock PSU and it's playing nice. I haven't messed with any OCing, mainly because I have no clue yet. So I may be asking more questions of you about that. For now I guess just running it with presets will suffice. I also switched to hdmi to all my monitors.

Reactions: Dj0gany