What is the best way to back up data from a SSD raid 0 while rebuilding a PC?

bms85

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have two SSDs in a raid 0 for my boot drive. Swapping a motherboard and processor (new brand/chipset for MOBO) is obviously going to force me to wipe/rebuild the raid.

I've never had to do anything like this before. Since I just need personal files do you think a manual backup is good enough? I have plenty of room for storage as I just finished an NAS build. I'd prefer an Image or full backup but don't want a proprietary format. Do you have any advice for backing up the files?

Any considerations when formatting/rebuilding a raid 0 with SSDs on a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance :)

bms85

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for the answers! Honestly I think i only asked out of paranoia, I recently had a major HDD failure on a server of mine. Luckily everything important had been backed up.

Since I posted I've been googling a bit, I've learned that windows 7 will save an image to a network location. Previously everything I had found had been self serving.

USAFRet: I think at the time it was mostly to add space to my boot drive(While larger SSDs were expensive). I have really good read/right speeds(while testing). How noticeable those speeds are practically is debatable. Windows/apps seem to load as fast if not faster on my wife's single SSD setup.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A while back getting a 512GB drive was about $600, now that it is closer to $300-400 it is starting to make more sense. (I think I saw a 512GB mx100 for 279.99 the other day) That is why my drives are still stripped.

As long as your backup utility sees it as a single volume it won't care that it is striped.

I did make a backup using Clonezilla of my array, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. I have a copy of Acronis TrueImage I need to try out on it.

bms85

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, I stripped for the same reason.

I'm making an image using windows 7 currently. I'll test it before I wipe and give clonezilla a try if Windows is not up to par.