Question What is the best way to change my admin status to user?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, on my PC I am the administrator and also user. For security, I would like to down-power my account to an user account. What is the best way to do that?

Will creating a new administration account and then from there downgrade my current account to an user account work? Will I mess things up such as file permissions if I do that?

Hello, on my PC I am the administrator and also user. For security, I would like to down-power my account to an user account. What is the best way to do that?

Will creating a new administration account and then from there downgrade my current account to an user account work? Will I mess things up such as file permissions if I do that?
unless you do some changes to permissions, than any administrator account can access/change files which needs elevated privileges (UAC)
you can create another administrator account and switch your current account to normal user account

best way would be going to control panel and from there add/change accounts (works fine for local accounts on win11 aswell)

While I haven't tried this method myself, I don't see why it shouldn't. If you can't do this, you can move the data out of your user folder to somewhere public (conveniently, there's always C:\Users\Public), then move the data back.

Regarding permissions, standard user level accounts need elevated permissions to access most things outside of their user folder in C:\. If you have another drive, Windows typically treats this as a public drive unless you mucked with the permissions beforehand.