[SOLVED] What is the best way to find motherboard/cpu compatibility?

May 9, 2020
I am thinking about upgrading my CPU, so I looked around for some sites with motherboard/cpu support for my IPMI7-002 motherboard, but couldnt find any. My current CPU is an i5-7400, and am looking for hopefully a high-end i7. Does anyone know what CPU's are compatible with my motherboard, or have a way to find some?

Solution
the picture has the right model number on it. only reason i think its the right one.

however i know that with BIOS update some h170 boards can run the 7000 series. so my guess is this is what they did.

intel changes the chipset just about every release. the 8000 series or higher won't work on it no matter what. totally different chipset and so on. so the 7700 is likely the best it will ever handle. though that is not 100% it is likely. you're gonna have to do some serious forum searching to see if anyone has done it before. try searching for something like "IPMI7-002 with 17-7700" or similar.
May 9, 2020
the support page for the mobo does not even list the i5-7400 as an option

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05236921

so i guess that not gonna be any help. i don't see any info elsewhere that i can find. you are probably going to have to search out forum posts talking about this specific pc and an upgrade actually done on it to figure out what may work. i don't see an official info so far.
I saw that when I looked for it before, and I dont think its my motherboard. It looks a little different, and the name is different. Maybe it is though, I really dont know.

May 9, 2020
with that i5. it is likely is supprt i7 7700 (non-k), not much of an upgrade. just 4 HT
Thanks, but do you know the newest cpu the motherboard can handle? I am not looking for that much of an upgrade, but one that will at least last me (regarding relevancy) for 2-3 years.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the picture has the right model number on it. only reason i think its the right one.

however i know that with BIOS update some h170 boards can run the 7000 series. so my guess is this is what they did.

intel changes the chipset just about every release. the 8000 series or higher won't work on it no matter what. totally different chipset and so on. so the 7700 is likely the best it will ever handle. though that is not 100% it is likely. you're gonna have to do some serious forum searching to see if anyone has done it before. try searching for something like "IPMI7-002 with 17-7700" or similar.

Solution
May 9, 2020

Ok, I will do that. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS