Question What is the best way to go about upgrading my HP Z230 Worksation?

simpleman72685

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
This is my first budget build, and it's kind of unique so this is what I am looking to do. I am building a pc for playing with emulators. I found this HP for only $100 and this is my starting point. It comes with a core i5 4670, 3.4Ghz processor and 16GB of DDR3 RAM. I will be adding an SSD with a good read speed as well. So now I'm wondering how to finish the build. It comes with 400W power supply with a 6 pin connector. I'm looking at either keeping the PSU and looking for a RX 570/RX 580 or a GTX 1650, 1060 6GB, or 1660. I am willing to upgrade the PSU so I can have an 8 pin connector as long as I don't have to drill holes into the case to install it. What I am going for here is the best bang for your buck set up. I want my bottleneck to be the CPU. I have read that the 1650 may be a good match to that CPU, but if I should go higher then I will. What do you guys think I should do? If there is a possible set up outside of what I mentioned before to reach that goal I am willing to do that as well. Thanks for the help in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
A friend of mine, who is also an architect, happens to have the SFF version of the Z230 workstation. The system you have can accept both ECC and non ECC rams. The SFF unit I worked on a few weeks ago got a Samsung 860 Evo 250GB and it currently has an AMD FirePro W2100.

Now, I'm concerned which form factor you own and if you're able to swap in an aftermarket PSU into the chassis. The images I'm looking at show that your board has a proprietary 18pin power connector for the main(where regular off the shelf system's/boards have a 24pin main connector) power input to the board.

If your PSU option is capped to 400W, you can only look at the GTX1650 but that too is based off the assumption that the PSU wasn't taxed or is in mint condition(which it certainly isn't).

simpleman72685

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
A friend of mine, who is also an architect, happens to have the SFF version of the Z230 workstation. The system you have can accept both ECC and non ECC rams. The SFF unit I worked on a few weeks ago got a Samsung 860 Evo 250GB and it currently has an AMD FirePro W2100.

Now, I'm concerned which form factor you own and if you're able to swap in an aftermarket PSU into the chassis. The images I'm looking at show that your board has a proprietary 18pin power connector for the main(where regular off the shelf system's/boards have a 24pin main connector) power input to the board.

If your PSU option is capped to 400W, you can only look at the GTX1650 but that too is based off the assumption that the PSU wasn't taxed or is in mint condition(which it certainly isn't).
I have the mid tower form factor. I have read that the Sapphire RX 570 will work with the current PSU. But I'm think like you in that 150 watts is probably too much for it. The card is also 11" long, so I'm not sure if it would interfere with the connector that lines up with the PCI-E slot. I took measurements and my rough estimate comes to the bolt pattern of the PSU is 12cm by 9cm, and the housing of the PSU is 6" X 6" X 4" It also appears that my PSU is 92% efficient. I'm not sure how much that would help.