[SOLVED] What is the best way to transfer a windows installation to an SSD?

ptferg1234

Commendable
Jan 8, 2018
I am going to help install a new M.2 SSD into my friend's system soon. I know that making a clone of the file system is one of the better methods for doing this, but I am not quite sure what the best method is o go about it.

He only has the one hard drive in his system and he does not have another product key to use for a clean install of Windows.

Solution
I use Macrium Reflect (free) to clone drives. EaseUs Todo is also an option.

However, I always backup all important data and ensure that data is recoverable and readable.

Once the clone is completed I swap in the clone and test. If all is well then I run the clone for a couple of weeks or long enough to ensure that any subsequent updates are successful with respect to the clone.

Keep the original drive safe and secure. Just in case.

Read through the cloning process so you have some idea as what the steps are and what is expected to happen.

Ralston18

Titan
I use Macrium Reflect (free) to clone drives. EaseUs Todo is also an option.

However, I always backup all important data and ensure that data is recoverable and readable.

Once the clone is completed I swap in the clone and test. If all is well then I run the clone for a couple of weeks or long enough to ensure that any subsequent updates are successful with respect to the clone.

Keep the original drive safe and secure. Just in case.

Read through the cloning process so you have some idea as what the steps are and what is expected to happen.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Once I make the clone, I can just boot straight into it once it's on the SSD, correct?
You may get a "path not found" or similar error at first due to the bootloader not recognizing the SSD's ID as the correct boot device. Booting to safe mode might fix that.

The whole point of keeping your original boot drive intact is that worst case, you can just toss it back in so you don't have to worry about it not working too much.

In addition to suggestions by Ralston18... frequently the drive mfr. offers a free software package for cloning a system drive to the new drive. It might be included (copied) onto the drive or you may have to check their web site to download a copy.

When I upgraded to my Samsung NVME it was very simple, it may not have been but my recollection is almost a 'one click' simple.